1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer runs checks then stops working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tony223, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Tony223

Tony223 Member

I successfully printed several things yesterday. Set a print to run while I slept and when I woke up my touch screen says "ready to print" and the extruder is in a neutral position. i go to Octoprint webpage and get this error.

Unhandled communication error
    The was an unhandled error while talking to the printer. Due to that OctoPrint disconnected. Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed

any suggestions? It has communication as it begins the work when I hit print, then it just stops.

2. Tony223

Tony223 Member

I shut everything down, and rebooted. I went to Wifi and reconnected my printer, it shows connected then at some point disconnects on its own and stops the print with the error show above.

3. Tony223

Tony223 Member

4. Tony223

Tony223 Member

I can connect to the printer, it just disconnects on its own. ?? IMG_3948.jpg IMG_3949.jpg

5. Tony223

Tony223 Member

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have a backup of your SD card the Pi boot from (and ... you really should) then reburn that image onto a new SD card and swap it. That will help eliminate issues from the Raspberry Pi. The symptoms could be either the Pi or its operating system, the control board or the cables between them. Start with the logs and a fresh SD card if you can.

8. Tony223

Tony223 Member

I have located the logs just trying to figure out how to share them, it is a step above my skill level. I am working on it though, thank you.

9. Tony223

Tony223 Member

IMG_3954 - Copy.jpg IMG_3954 - Copy.jpg IMG_3954.jpg

10. Tony223

Tony223 Member

IMG_3955.jpg IMG_3955.jpg IMG_3956 (1).jpg IMG_3955.jpg IMG_3956 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

11. Tony223

Tony223 Member

12. Tony223

Tony223 Member

dont know if you can tell anything from the images I attatched. If not I will continue to work on how to get you access

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should try putting all of the logs into a ZIP archive and then attaching that to a post. If that won't work you need to host them on one of the file share solutions like GoogleDrive and share it there.

I am not certain there will be much to see in the logs, but we need to start somewhere. Those entries you posted are a start, but nothing really amiss there.

The error you posted in the first one : "Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed" means that the control board has lost the ability to read the bed thermistor (it might be failed/dead or the wire is broken/disconnected).

14. Tony223

Tony223 Member

Ok thank you for all your help (as usual you have been great). A buddy of mine is going to take a look at it. He had a different printer but is more experienced than I am.
    If I still can’t get it,,, I will use it as an anchor

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The GCode terminal is the best resource because there may be an error echoed back from the printer that OctoPi is not passing on to you. Check to see that before you print, when it heats up, that there is a valid temperature displayed for the bed.

Good luck!

16. Tony223

Tony223 Member

Will do Mark, and thank you again for always being willing to help. I should know something Monday.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. Tony223

Tony223 Member

ok, here is what we learned.
    The extruded heats up just fine. The build plate was not heating so we shut everything down and disconnected everything.

we did a complete reset and ran a print for a small “clip” both the extruded and build plate heated, everything was talking to each other just fine. After about 10 layers of print it shut down on its own.

we tried another print and the build plate will not heat.

we tried to preheat it and it will not preheat.
    It appears to be a problem with the build plate itself.

do you have any thoughts or suggestions ? Can I order a new build plate for the R2 someplace ? When I looked we couldn’t find any in stock. There is a “V2” for around 80 dollars. But I do not know if it is a complete build plate or just part of it? It is not very clear.

18. Tony223

Tony223 Member

Also,, is it worth sinking money into for a printer that is no longer supported? Is there a better one for the money now? My fear is putting 2 or 3 hundred dollars into an R2 and being able to buy a newer version for 400

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So you didn't look at the GCode terminal for errors? It is likely that the bed is still failing and that is knocking it offline. I think it is safe to say the Pogo pins are taking you down.

You can get a v1 build plate here: https://www.partsbuilt.com/v1-heated-bed-r2-robo-3d/
    They are the official parts supplier for Robo printers.

The difference between v1 and v2 is that v1 uses the pogo pins and v2 does not. The wiring harness was modified because the Pogo pins were a repeat failure point.

You can email them about this and they will get you on the list: https://www.partsbuilt.com/r2-heated-bed/

As for replacing it -- your call. It likely needs the pogo pins replaced OR the bed thermistor is dying. Neither of those are super tough to deal with, but it is your money :)

There are a lot of better printers out there, many are expensive :) You can go the route of a cheaper one (like Creality) but all the the home budget FDM printers have their issues and it is somewhat hit or miss if you get one that never needs a repair or not. I have a couple of other non-robo printers (5 actually) and some are better and some are worse. If you were doing this for a business I'd suggest getting something top-notch like a BCN Sigma or a Raise3D E2 IDex or one of the Pro series they have.

Prusa makes solid machines as well -- might have to order and wait a bit they are not a high volume maker.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you were up to it you can eliminate the Pogo pins yourself by simply wiring around them. A bit more work, but cheaper :)