1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer Shutting off.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gage, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, that is an R1+ and yes -- strange to have the glass bead thermistor BUT

Robo was never very consistent :)

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With the glass bead thermistor make sure your little rubber boot is holding it firmly against the heater block and that none of the bare wires are touching the heater block or each other...

3. Gage

Gage Member

Yeah, the old one was good, but since I had it all apart I went ahead and switched it with a new on.
    I had no heat errors or gcode errors other than the basic catch all freak out message.
    Probably just the connection shorting out and kicking the emergency shut off code.

Is there a particular RAMPs I should order from Amazon? I'll go ahead and get it ordered so I can get cracking on it this weekend.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not really, I have used a handful of different ones. They were a mixed bag. About 1/2 the time they would be defective out-of-the-box unless I bought the all-in-one kit (includes the RAMPS, the Arduino, the stepper drivers, jumpers and an LCD screen). However if you get it from Amazon Prime they will replace it free so your call. The silly things are so cheap because they are all made in Asia from the lowest bidder ;)

All-in-one kits are roughly $40

5. Gage

Gage Member

Well I will just get one ordered and get cracking tomorrow.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. The all-in-one kit is a good deal anyway (considering how Robo wanted $90 for just the arduino/RAMPS) and having spares for everything is a good idea ... it will all die at some point :)

7. Gage

Gage Member

That's true. I will probably end up ordering an all in one before long.
    I've got so much extra after all of this I may just build myself a second printer.:D
    Looking at a box of steppers, a power supply that MAY be good. A case a built years ago along with a bed, and threaded rods.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There was a box of 5 steppers we got from Amazon a year or so back that was like $55 and they were pretty much a drop in for Robo as well as most of the other printers we have.

9. Gage

Gage Member

Sounds almost like what I ordered from Amazon, except it was $25.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Price might well have come down since we bought it :)

11. Gage

Gage Member

Well, it took some doing but I got everything switched over from the old board to the new. Was having an issue with connectivity but found the issue to be a loose connector for one of the end stops.
    So far everything is running fine. Just have to get the Z height corrected for the first layer and I will be able to run a full print and see if all is well.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. Gage

Gage Member

The relic is officially back up and printing. Few tweaks need to be made, namely getting all the fine tuning back in line. But have had two successful Benchy prints now running about 4 hours each. (I like detail, so slow and steady for me)
    So in conclusion, it was indeed the RAMPs 4.1 that needed swapped. Granted I do not think the new power supply was a waste either considering everything seems to be running more smoothly now as well.
    Conclusion of everything done, replaced the extruder stepper (which was indeed bad). New heater core, new thermistor, new power supply, which may or may not have been needed. If it is still good I have plenty of uses for it. And I learned how to rewire a RAMPS 4.1.
    Lots of fun, lots of cursing. But alls well that ends well and I know more than I did a week ago.
    Big thanks to Mark Tomlinson who had advice for each step of the way! 15799765144973657825013384004911.jpg

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.