1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer stays put at end of print making bad top layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Momenslythe, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

My C2 (and my R2) sit in place at the end of a print and ends up making a dimple/nipple in that spot on my prints. How can I get the extruder to get out of the way as soon as the print is done?

kodama dent.PNG

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You have two choices, add some g-codes to the end script in your slicer of choice to move the bed further away, or add those same or similar commands to the GCODE scripts in the OctoPrint settings.

Typically it would be something like this
    Code:
    G91 ; makes moves relative to current location
    G1 Z10 ; move platform 10 mm further from nozzle
    G90 ; reset movement to absolute

Geof likes this.
  3. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

Thank you. I think that is what I'm looking for. I'm not sure exactly where I should put that GCODE. I have attached the end of mine below. Would I want to put it before the TIME_ELAPSED or before the --END GCODE --?

Code:
    G1 X62.156 Y75.115 E4536.44062
    G1 X61.831 Y75.585 E4536.45012
    G1 X61.71 Y75.707 E4536.45298
    G1 X61.442 Y75.931 E4536.45879
    G0 F6000 X61.278 Y76.046
    G0 X60.888 Y75.03
    G1 F720 X61.033 Y74.892 E4536.45965
    G1 X61.153 Y74.729 E4536.46051
    G1 X61.263 Y74.557 E4536.46136
    G0 F6000 X61.303 Y74.596
    ;TIME_ELAPSED:9935.114525
    G1 F2400 E4535.46136
    M107
    ; -- END GCODE --
    ; -- end of END GCODE --
    M104 S0
    ;End of Gcode
    ;SETTING_3 {"global_quality": "[general]\\nversion = 2\\nname = empty\\ndefiniti
    ;SETTING_3 on = robo_c2\\n\\n[metadata]\\ntype = quality_changes\\nquality_type 
    ;SETTING_3 = normal\\n\\n[values]\\nadhesion_type = none\\nz_seam_type = random\
    ;SETTING_3 \nz_seam_y = 63.5\\n\\n"}

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

For example. OctoPrint that code would go here:
    FireShot Capture 9 - robo-R2 [OctoPrint] - http___192.168.1.36_.png

In Cura, it would go here:
    End_GCode.png

5. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

At the point where you're adjusting GCODE or related processing scripts and wondering where to put things, it would help to know what the code is. reprap page

Go there, do a Ctrl-F or similar and search for M104 which you see is there at the end of your code. So you see that it's "Set Extruder Temperature" and with a little reading, you see that the S0 part then turns off the hotend (zero degrees). Likewise, you can lookup the commands that aren't comments (lines which begin with a semicolon).

So lookup an M107 and the commands before that which begin with G0 or G1. Then decide: "okay, I want to move my hotend up at some point at the end of my job, when should I do that?" If it were me, I'd want to do that after the last move/extruding command but not before that.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Why would you want to edit the resulting gcode, when you can simply have the slicer or host program doing it for you. Typical programmer making stuff harder than it needs to be! :D;)

Kilrah likes this.
  7. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

So I tried doing the same print with the end GCODE but have a similar results. Sorry the picture is kind of bad.

kodama dent end gcode.PNG

After seeing this I thought maybe it was a cooling problem since the hotend hangs out there for the last few layers. I have significant warping on the smokestack when I do a 3DBency. I thought I'd try to solve this by trying to print two at the same time so the hot end would have to travel back and forth. The pictures of that are below. kodama dent end gcode double.PNG
    kodama bubbles.PNG

The finishing layers are better than the previous but the one on the left ended up much better than the one on the right. I also get a bunch of bubbles on the print where it moves to the other piece. I'm thinking the M104 and M107 commands take a bit of time and it leaves the nozzle in place just a bit too long. I haven't been able to witness it because the prints keep ending earlier than I'm expecting. I'll try editing the GCODE itself before the last M commands and see how that goes.

As for the bubbles, any suggestions?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If its hanging out there you need to address your minimum time /layer and cooling

9. OutsourcedGuru

What's odd to me is that my C2 promptly parks itself at the home position immediately upon finishing the last vertical layer of any part. It doesn't "chill out" (pun intended).

10. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

Mine does not. I actually forgot to point out that you can see a mark on the tape from when I was doing the C2 spiral test. There's a tiny blue arrow above the print on the left in the second picture in my last post.

I think the min layer time is set to 20s for these. But what I can't tell is when you set a min layer time, does the hot end move over so it doesn't sit next to the plastic while it waits out any remaining layer time? Or does it just go slower? I'm not really sure what min layer time does behaviorally.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

min layer time set the min time for each layer to allow cooling at print speed (the print speed is slowed down to a set amount). Some slicers offer a "lift Z" or "move Z" option in that same tab that will move the extruder away if needed. I believe with S3D the head will go away if min time cannot be met ( left or right, not up).

Your other "easier" option is to print two of the item your printing.

12. OutsourcedGuru

I was wondering what you were indicating there.

This evening when I get home, I'll post my Cura end-script (very likely empty) and my OctoPrint end-script (most certainly the one responsible for parking the hotend). My versions are in my signature.

13. OutsourcedGuru

Here's the "After print job completes" script that OctoPrint (RoboOS) adds to the end for me. Fortunately, they've documented it well. They must be really fond of absolute mode because they'd done it twice there.

Code:
    ; turn off heaters
    M104 S0
    ; turn off fans
    M107
    ; move bed down 10mm
    G91 
    G1 Z10
    G90
    ; home XY axis
    G28 X0 Y0
    ; home bed
    G28 Z0
    ; set absolute mode
    G90
    ; zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; turn off motors
    M84

And here's the printer profile in Cura that I'm using. There's no end code there.

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 6.20.37 PM.png

14. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

I forgot to check mine last night when I was home. Does the OctoPrint stuff happen even if I initiate the print through the LCD screen?

15. OutsourcedGuru

I never use the LCD to initiate a print job nor do I use the iPhone app. I always click the Start button in the OctoPrint interface.

I'd have to walk the code (or fake a job) to find out but you may be on to something. Check your OctoPrint settings and initiate from the interface.

16. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

My OctoPrint end GCODE looks like yours. When I initiated the kodama print through OctoPrint, I do not see a heavy indent like I did before. I still see the heating problem even though I am printing two and using the "lift z" cooling option.

Again, I was not able to observe what happens in the last few layers. I wanted to see if initiating the spiral test from OctoPrint would still leave an indent at the end but OctoPrint did not allow me to start the print from the web interface for some reason.

My C2 is currently out of commission since it black-screened after the last update...

kodama octoprint.PNG

17. OutsourcedGuru

Try this post.

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

On the C2/R2 ... I am not sure. Normally with an LCD controller the answer would be "no", but I am not sure how the Pi uses that LCD to drive the printer. It may feed it to OctoPrint (although I rather doubt it).

19. OutsourcedGuru

Okay, so you do not see the indent when initiated from OctoPrint; it's able to run that end script with the command in it:
    Code:
    ; move bed down 10mm
    G91
    G1 Z10
    G90
    And that minimally saves you from parking a hot extruder on your part at the end. {solved}

You ought to be able to re-install the C2 update from that link I just gave you. {check}

Not sure what we're talking about on the heating problem. You have those "bubbles" which you've indicated are an artifact of printing two at once and you believe the extruder's camping before the slide. Geof has suggested increasing the min layer time in your slicer to allow for more part cooling. I think Cura has a "Z-hop on retraction" when shifting to the other part. I would guess that it would slightly lift the extruder before sliding and this might fix the bubbles.

20. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

For the heating issue, the last few layers look like they were put down wrong or remelted when the extruder goes over it again. These layers look very different than the ones that are put down partially through the print.

I will try the options for getting rid of the bubbles.

kodama octoprint zoom.PNG