1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer stays put at end of print making bad top layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Momenslythe, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

I was able to get my C2 to work again with the link. I was able to initiate the C2 spiral test with OctoPrint and am seeing the hotend park for several seconds before moving the the bed down even when I move the below code snippet to the very first part of the end GCODE.

Code:
    ; move bed down 10mm
    G91
    G1 Z10
    G90

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Momenslythe

Momenslythe Member

Sorry I left this for a while. I was talking with Robo3D support and had some renovations in the room with my 3D printers.

I was able to use this GCODE to fix the problem of the nozzle sitting around for too long. I also got rid of the heating problem in the last couple layers by using the Lift Head option. I still have heating problems in other prints (particularly 3DBency's smokestack) but I think that is another topic. I am marking this as resolved.

Code:
    ; home XY axis
    G28 X0 Y0
    ; home bed
    G28 Z0
    ; turn off heaters
    M104 S0
    M140 S0
    ; turn off fans
    M107
    ; set absolute mode
    G90
    ; zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; turn off motors
    M84
    Capture.PNG

Geof and OutsourcedGuru like this.
  3. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Hmm... it looks like you removed this:

Code:
    ; move bed down 10mm
    G91
    G1 Z10
    G90
    ...moved this past the bed-homing command:

Code:
    ; turn off heaters
    M104 S0
    ; turn off fans
    M107
    I'm not sure how that's supposed to stop the parking problem but maybe it just promptly begins the homing routine instead of the (presumably blocking call to) M104. Alright, I think I've got you there. Good one.

And yet, I think I'd lower the bed 10mm before trying to home X/Y because in some cases, you're going to drag a (still hot) extruder across the surface of a flat part.

4. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Have the same problem but never took the time to try and fix it. I reviewed slicer output and octoprint print end script and don't see anything suspect. The "move away" code is in Octoprint, so my guess is simply that Octoprint is stalling for a few seconds between finishing to execute the slicer gcode and executing its print end script i.e. I'll try moving that out of Octoprint into the slicer like I've already done for the startup gcode.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  5. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I've moved command after command in the OctoPrint end script but I'm starting to get the sense that this is Cura doing this.

I don't routinely watch my print jobs now but I do see that tell-tale melted circle sometimes.

My latest version involves an immediate retraction of 1.0mm, moving the extruder up by 10mm and then... whatever. Still doesn't help always. So next, I guess I'll dive into the ending GCODE that Cura's throwing to the printer. I suspect that it's one of the M107 commands or similar which could be blocking.