1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathaniel, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathaniel

Nathaniel New Member

I am thinking of buying a Robo 3D printer, but a have a few questions regarding the printing bed. Does it require kapton tape on the bed or can i just print directly onto the bed?

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It will depend completely on the material you are using to print with. ABS, for example should have a heated bed where as PLA does not require it.

3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

the reason why people were using kapton tape was because they were printing directly onto the heated pad, so they put the kapton tape there to help protect the heat pad and double as a build surface.

if your using a glass build surface or aluminum plate on top of the heat bed then kapton isn't needed. If your printing directly onto the heat pad, which i dont recommend, then you'll need that kapton at the least.

robo does not come with anything to place on top of the heat bed, so its really up to you how you decide to do this. boro glass, or aluminum would be my choice.

kapton tape didn't do anything for me, i found that using abs mix with acetone was the best solution for getting prints to stick to the bed.

4. Dan

Dan Guest

Noob question. I'm assuming that even if the heat plate is 8x8 I can put down a 10x10 piece of glass and still print 10x10 with the Robo3d. Is this correct? (assuming I give it enough time for the glass to heat up evenly).

5. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Glass isn't that great of a conductor of heat, so I don't think the edges will get that warm, specially 2'' from the edge of the heat bed. The RoBo ABS version comes with a 10x10 heat bed though.

6. Dan

Dan Guest

Perfect. For some reason I thought the heat bed was 8x8.

Thanks!

7. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

The store says it's 8.4x8.4, but I think that's old information as they where getting custom boards made and they should be 10x10 now. Judging by the picture they posted before of everything in the kit laid out and the heater board being the same width of the build platform which is 10x15 I'd say it is 10x10 now.

8. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

seshan is right glass is more of an insulator than conductor, but i've had good results printing with boro glass. Even better with 1/8" aluminum plate underneath the boro to even out the temperatures. This combo makes for a great build surface, so long as the aluminum is flat.

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Cambo, so what do you recommend is the best "combo"? Any sites you suggest us ordering the glass and/or aluminum if it is really worth it? Thanks

10. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i order my glass from mcmaster carr, you can also get the aluminum there too or go to onlinemetals.com for the aluminum.

11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Cambo, would you mind linking me to the exact glass you got, and then as well the aluminum, and also do you really recommend the aluminum? OR am I fine without it? Thanks

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i posted a link in the other thread about boro glass, you don't really need the aluminum it just helps even out the print bed temperature. mcmaster carr part number 8476K21 for the boro,
    i bought a 10x10 piece from them hopefully it fits the robo.

13. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Thanks Cambo, one thing I noticed, it can only go up to 230C (445F). That is the top of PLA and Laywood printing really, so that isn't too good for ABS, am I correct? Also, what is the link to the other thread? Thanks so much for the help.

14. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

You wouldn't be heating the bed that high, about 70c to about 120c depending on what plastic you are printing

15. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Ohhh. Thanks Seshan! I really appreciate it!

16. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

harry, your confusing hotend temps for heat bed temps. seshan is right.

17. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Whooops. Thanks for the help Cambo, it is greatly appreciated!

18. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Do you recommend putting anything ontop of the glass prior to a print, and also what is the best way you would recommend me securing it to the Robo, or should I just wait and see?

19. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

just use binder clips, i just print with abs juice directly on the glass

20. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Do you use ABS Juice when you print with PLA, Laywood, Nylon, ect, or only with ABS? And what exactly is ABS Juice, and how do you apply it? Sorry for asking so many questions Cambo. Thanks so much again!
    - HV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.