1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathaniel, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

abs juice is mixture of acetone and dissolved abs pieces, its only for abs, pla people have used glue sticks, but i've not experimented with this, i been printing mainly abs.

abs juice gets spread over the build area with just a paper towel or what not, spread it evenly let it dry, then print.

I have not printed with other materials, i will try nylon when my 1.75mm all metal hotend gets here.

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Are you getting the all metal hotend from trinitylabs.com?

3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

no i have different ones i'm trying out, ed3, and trinity labs also

4. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Has the Trinity one arrived, I remember you had not received it. Let me know which one is better if you would not mind, after some good testing!

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

yeah I have it, will do.

6. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Thanks Cambo!

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey I actually know this one Harry, ABS juice or ABS slurry is actually simply ABS plastic completely dissolved in Acetone. The proportion I do not know but it can be varied easily by either adding more Acetone or some scrap ABS material. I believe though it is supposed to be fairly translucent when done in the right proportion. The trick is with the application, from what I have read this stuff works in the extreme when dealing with abs as it acts like a cement and a lot of people using to strong of a solution end up having a very difficult time removing the printed object and in some cases end up destroying it. There are several ways to get around this and it will generally come from experience but here are some possibilities:

Use a weaker solution
    Apply in a hit or miss area on the surface just dabbing some intermittently
    Using crumpled to apply
    use a normal brush to apply and then a dry brush to take part of it back up
    Apply it with a very course utensil
    Apply it over a screen

The end result is an application that is covered in some areas and not in others
    Think of a crossword where just the black is the ABS slurry
    The main thing is it really depends on the actual footprint contact size of your print if it has a large contiguous base like a box I would use it sparingly if it has multiple smaller contacts points the maybe a bit stronger solution

Another solution is hairspray I believe the brand was something called Final Net but that can be checked out easily enough

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Guess I was too late to help

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Don't worry about it Jeff, That was a great, and helpful answer! Thanks again for everyone who helped.

10. Royce Edwards

Royce Edwards New Member

A friend of mine suggested that using 10 mm of ABS filament in 10 ml of acetone yield the proper mix of ABS juice. He then applies just enough of it to the glass surface that the glass appears to be misted. I hope that helps.

11. Electrocutioner

Electrocutioner New Member

adding a bit of aluminum oxide flower (pottery store) helps with both adhesion and release. It holds very well at temperature but when the bed cools down it makes the slurry brittle and easy to peel.

12. Electrocutioner

Electrocutioner New Member

My all metal hot end design (tefstruder on thingivers) is working awesome on my cupcake. no problems at all even at high temperature. The main difference between my design and the Tlabs one is that im using an annular heater vs the J heater. IMHO an annular heater heats up much quicker, about 15 sec from 20C to 220C and allows use of a thermocouple which gives much more accurate temperature readings. If found accuracy in temperature critical for a consistent part. The only downsides to annular heater is that it draws alot more power and i had to upgrade the FETS on the EC and its rather labour intensive to build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.