1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Printing stops midpoint after a layer or two

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric Viglotti, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Hello,

I have an R1+ I have had for quite awhile and after printing hundreds of successful jobs, the printer just stops midway through the 2nd or 3rd layer. I have tried different gcode files for different print jobs and different memory cards. I had this happen to me halfway through much bigger job once and I bought a new memory card thinking maybe that was the issue. I have tried to turn it off and on with no success. Attached is a picture showing the screen basically just stating it's "ready", but it really did very little of the print and the steppers are locked as if it's still in the printing process.

Has anyone ever seen this or do I have a trip to Robo for service in my future?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to print with it connected via USB to a computer with a host program and see if there are any errors reported in the GCode terminal. The LCD doesn't have any way to display or echo errors so that you can troubleshoot it. It could be something simple (like a TEMPERATURE FELL TOO MUCH DURING PRINT error) but without driving it from software you will never see that error.

If you are printing connected dig all the way back through the GCode terminal looking for real errors. There are more details in the FAQ thread.

3. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Thanks, I will try that out, good suggestion.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Love the LCD for disconnected printing, but it doesn't handle errors from the printer :)
    Good luck. Let us know what it is complaining about and we can probably help.

5. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

So I connected the R1+ through the USB cable to my Mac laptop and sent the job through Cura and it worked fine. I couldn't see a terminal screen in Cura and I can't get MatterControl to work, so I couldn't debug, but I assume the idea is that since printing with a laptop works but not through two different SD cards, then either both SD cards just happened to die at the same time or the SD card reader is toast? FYI, the one I bought and installed was:
    [REPRAPGURU] 2004 LCD Smart Display Controller Module with Adapter for 3D Printer Controller RAMPS 1.4 Arduino Mega Pololu Shield Arduino RepRap
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie...1.4 Arduino Mega Pololu Shield Arduino RepRap but Amazon doesn't have it anymore, but I think I found the same thing direct from Reprapguru https://reprapguru.com/collections/...display-controller-with-adapter-for-ramps-1-4

Should I go ahead and just buy another one or any other ideas? Not a huge deal if that's the best solution...

Thanks.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would just replace the LCD given the expense, if you try a new or reformatted SD card and it is still not working that is the culprit most likely. There is a small chance it could be some ports died on the RAMPS 1.4 board the LCD docks into, but that would be ... unusual.

8. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

I'll probably try a new SD card and reader, thank you for the link as I have trouble telling which ones would work. Thanks again!

mark tomlinson likes this.