1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problem Printing Small Holes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JustinDS89, Apr 29, 2018.

1. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Hello!

When I print small holes on my printer it turns out looking pretty deformed and melted.

Anyone know what may be causing this or how to resolve the issue?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

printing too hot, not enough cooling, possibly just the geometries are to odd for the nozzle size and extrusion width to play nice with. what size hole? What material? What slicer? Slicer settings?

3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Hello again Geof and thanks for the reply.

I'm printing at 210 with PLA and have had good results in the past at this temp with everything else.

I am printing a 3 mm hole though and using latest version of Cura. As for the settings I am using 30% infill, 80mm/s print speed, 4 shells, .1mm layer height. Any other settings you are looking for?

I am also using a .4 mm nozzle.

I have tried both a .4 and .48 extrusion width. The reason why is I noticed Simplify3D's auto width was .48 so thought I would try that.

Thanks!

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

80mm/s may be...fast :D. 3mm holes should be easily do able. I assume that picture is showing the top layer? If so you'r looking at likely a speed issue (in the speed tab look for solid infill underspeed) which controls the speed of the solid top layer to make it look nicer as well as perimeter overlap in the advanced tab) What you should really do is change on thing at a time until you get the desired results so you know what you changed so you can do it for other models. Pay close attention to the gcode preview in S3D and see what the tool paths are doing, then watch the robo as it does its finishing layers and between seeing what the printer is doing when it "messes up" you should be able to read the instructions for what each setting does and make small changes until you get her to fill in pretty :D

JustinDS89 and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

JustinDS89 likes this.
  6. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Yep, everything else looks good on my prints except the holes. I am actually using Cura though, but I can test with S3D also just to see the difference.

I will try slowing it down a bit, but would like to avoid that if possible lol. I will see if it helps though.

As for how the hole looks it actually looks like that at more than just the top layer. You can see all the way through it around the hole.

Thanks for the help guys. Would really like to get this sorted out so I can have some decent looking prints and also make them better structurally.

Geof likes this.
  7. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I'm thinking of dropping it to 60 mm/s to test it out. Is this reasonable? Not really sure what is a proper speed lol.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

60 is a fair drop just to test :D Typically I have my R2 set around 55 to 60mm/s then with the speed underrides its even slower. Quality product vs fast product :p

JustinDS89 likes this.
  9. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Awesome! I will give that a test this evening once I get home and post back with the results.

Right. The speed is nice, but would rather have a quality print that is usable. As of now these holes if used for mounting or something I don't really think they would be structurally sound.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

agreed. got to sort that then can try bumping back up the speed :D

JustinDS89 likes this.
  11. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Also, I should mention. This happens with ABS at 230 and 250 too. I switched from 230 to 250 because the parts were separating when put under pressure. Not sure if that fixed the problem, but that is a separate issue lol.

Just figured I would mention that it does happen with different materials at different temps.

Geof likes this.
  12. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Hey Geof! Thanks very much for the input. I lowered the speed to 60 mm/s and the holes printed great!

Should I just leave it lowered and just deal with the extra time needed? I would rather it take longer and look good and be usable.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If speed alone helped/fixed it you can increase temp to bump speed but me personally I leave working alone most times

JustinDS89 likes this.
  14. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Thanks again! I will leave it at 60. I think the rest of the prints may look better too as a result.

Geof likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree with @Geof -- for detail printing we live with slow. The R2/C2 gantry is better at maintaining precision with increased speed, but that still only gets you so much :)

Geof and JustinDS89 like this.
  16. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Appreciate the help as I was at a loss.

Geof likes this.
  17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

In general an unmodified R2 is about at its limit on PLA print speed at 60 mm/s, some models might be able to be printed faster some must be printed slower to retain details. All slicers have the ability to slow down the outside perimeter and that will help too. If you want to print everything at 60 mm/s then adjust outside perimeter speed to 50 - 67 % of the normal print speed. That will usually clean up the outside completely. Please note that perimeter speed will affect all outside perimeters not just around holes.

18. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking I saw somewhere that the print speed was 80-100mm/s so that is part of the reason I chose 80mm/s. I will keep it at 60 though as the results were much better.

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

probably the advertising :D. Its not always 100% true :D. That being said I have an R1+ that runs around 80mm/s on one profile, but honestly....after all the speed overrides and the such...it never reaches that :D. But! It goes hella fast on the infill ;). As long as your happy with the end print thats all that matters. if you get bored and have some downtime experiment with upping the temp and speeds. I'm sure you can get "a bit faster" with some effort. Glad your sorted

20. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Yeah probably, I have found that out before on advertising haha.

I may play around with the settings when I don't have anything else going on and see if I can't get the speed up a bit.

For now though at least I have a functional print that looks good.

Geof likes this.