1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Problem with first print - print head seems too high

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jcastor, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcastor

Jcastor New Member

Hi All, I have hesitated posting before I have read through other threads. I have gotten some great ideas, but have not been able to solve my problem yet. I just got my machine from the Robo 3D booth at the Maker Faire last weekend. I have followed the set up instructions and level steps under the configure menu in the software. One thing I noticed is that my printer looks a bit different than the one in the Getting Started video. I don't seem to have a z height adjustment screw, or I am blind.

When the printer starts printing, I can tell that the print head is a bit too high and the plastic is not able to touch the bed until it has completed about half of the first layer. Then some plastic starts to stick, but it soon turns into a mess.

Material: PLA (190 deg)
    Bed: Followed instructions to heat to 60 deg. I see that some recommend not heating bed for PLA
    File: A pokemon character off of Thingiverse...it looked simple

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you,

Jim

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You have the version with two switches below the z axis? That's the auto level.

You need to calibrate your z offset using their instructions.

3. Jcastor

Jcastor New Member

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I have followed their instructions for leveling several times using their software interface and a piece of paper. Maybe I am doing something wrong in the process. Have you seen any material from Robo 3d on auto leveling that I could reference. I have been searching, but haven't found much.

Thank you

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You had the piece of paper taped to the bed with written instructions for how to calibrate the auto level yes?

For setting the z offset you shouldn't use a piece of paper but rather judgement and vision. As you raise the nozzle up .1mm at a time just watch. As soon as you see it no longer resting on the bed that's your 0 point. Your first layer will be above that so if you're putting in a piece of paper that's .1mm above 0 so a .2mm layer would be at .3mm etc.

5. Jcastor

Jcastor New Member

Yes I followed the instruction sheet provided that was taped to the bed. I'll try to follow the steps again and level without any paper. Thanks for your help.

6. Jcastor

Jcastor New Member

I validated the settings that were attached to the bed of my printer and followed the auto leveling configuration step through in the software, but still having the same issue. When the printer starts the first layer looks too high. The instructions had me set the z-offset to 1.25, I am assuming this is correct. I have attached an image of what happened. Any additional ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

Attached Files:

7. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Does your printer have the z axis adjustment screw?

I would suggest making a brim so you can see what is happening. Start off with 4 to 6 so you have time to see what is wrong. If the brim is not touching g. Stop the print - readjust the z height and try again. Each time you adjust, make sure you do it in very small increment.

Don't skip steps.'get the height right by testing with the brim.'make sure each side of the brim looks good. If not, stop and readjust slightly

You'll really know that a print will be successful once the brim looks good. You can walk away at that point.

You might also try using hairspray, and heat the bed while spraying it on. (55 degrees)

If the filament is lifting off the bed, you're not dialled in.

I have the stock printer and it's printing great. Dial it in. Be patient and don't give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Peter Krska

Just finished a print - are you seeing ribbing? Not sure if it's the small print or the model or ribbing?
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

@Peter, is that on thingiverse? Looks awesome.

10. Peter Krska

Game of thrones Winterfell

11. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I thought it looked familiar lol.

12. Jcastor

Jcastor New Member

Thanks for the advice Peter. I am looking through the forum for how to "make a brim". This is my first printer so I am a bit new to the types of adjustments one should make and the test prints I should be using. I think one problem I am having is that I am not really sure how to adjust the z axis properly so that when it starts printing, I have PLA touching the bed. When it starts printing, the plastic seems slow coming out and it doesn't actually make it to the print bed, until it is well into the first layer. After that it doesn't really stick to the bed. I have been using hairspray on a heated bed, but maybe I need to try a different kind like Aquanet.

Do you have any tips adjusting the Z axis with the auto leveling version of the Robo? Are there any other adjustments I may need to make to the printer?

13. CVD3D

CVD3D New Member

Hey there JCastor. I'm seeing the same issues as you. So far, I've had a couple of fantastic prints, with several other failed and frustrating attempts. I definitely think it is an issue of your nozzle being too far away from the bed, which is providing enough air to cool the plastic before it hits the bed causing it to curl up and cause the mess. In my case it is a combination of the height and the ambient temperature in the area I have my printer. I'm working on an insulated box to help trap some of the heat in. The reason I think it is distance from the bed though is that I had good results by starting a print, immediately hitting pause when the nozzle goes back to the bed to begin printing, and then manually turning the screw like z-axis poles on either side to lower the head just slightly.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1.25mm sounds pretty high. Try lowering it until your nozzle is basically scraping on the bed, then raise it up .1

15. Jcastor

Jcastor New Member

Thanks CVD3D for your experience. It's nice knowing I am not the only one having this issue.

Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to update the 1.25mm offset, but I wasn't sure that was the right place to make the adjustment. I'll try halfing it to .75mm and see if that makes a difference. Do you have any suggestions on a test print or "making a brim"? Really appreciate the support. It is a bit frustrating, but I am sure with some help I can get it dialed in.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Getting it going is hard, mostly because you don't have a frame of reference to how it should look. You'll get there by playing with the height offset.

I started with 15mm cal cubes and highly recommend it. The calibration pyramid is also a good one.

2 people like this.
  17. Jcastor

Jcastor New Member

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try tonight. I didn't have any samples files on my printer. Do you know where I can find these samples? I was told there were samples already in the queue, but my queue was empty.

18. Peter Krska

Thingivers is your other friend. Search for it on google.

Your brim is found in the software. You need to look under settings.

I suggest following the youtube video from Robo3d that shows how to setup Repetier software.

Start with the recommended settings and then adjust the height. You'll get more familiar with the settings once you see the video.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

20. Jcastor

Jcastor New Member

Thanks Peter. I'll watch the video and give it a try tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.