1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problem with the X axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael Stone, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Hi all. Just got my Robo fully assembled, and I'm trying to do all the steps in the "getting started" guide, and I'm having an issue.

My Z and Y axis movement is fine when I give them the manual commands. The X axis only shakes back and forth.

The belt head does not seem to be slipping on the shaft, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

I'm uploading a video of the issue. YouTube says the link will be:
    (although it says half an hour from when I'm posting this until the video is uploaded.)

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, can you turn off the printer, and then try to move the axis yourself and see if it moves? Do this when the printer is off, and if you can move the axis, without really any resistance let me know.

3. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

On a side note michael, I recommend NOT trying any updates, or anything other people have done/recommend you to do until you have your printer printing, and you are used to the printer.

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

link doesn't work, but usually this is wiring problem, Check wiring connections.

I've seen this before and it could be a bad stepper motor (ie shorted somewhere internally).
    swap your x motor connector with the y motor connector. See if the gripe follows, if it does. You have a bad stepper motor.

no mod on this forum will fix a bad stepper motor.

5. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

With the power off, the X axis seems to move smoothly by hand.

And thanks for the note about updates. I'll stay away from those until I see some testing on the message boards.

6. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

7. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Ok Michael. So one thing is is when you turn your printer on, click "Home All" before trying to move the X,Y,Z axis, and then try to see if the axis will move, let me know.

8. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Video is now live.

I assume Home All is the bottom left Home button, since the others say X, Y, or Z next to them.

I hit that, and it caused a different issue. It seemed to home Y just fine, but it brought down the carriage for Z and didn't stop when it hit the stop switch. So it continued to turn and screwed the nuts down below the carriage.

It didn't get as far as homing X since it would not stop turning Z looking for a stop spot.

9. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, saw the video. I have alerted some team members who should be able to get you more info, or me to pass along to you.

10. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, as to that, you need to adjust the Z Axis limit switch. Bring it up, not sure how much you'll need exactly though.

11. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, I just spoke with the team. This is what they are asking me to ask you to do:
    Can you please turn off every thing and unplug everything, then adjust the trim pot on the stepper driver about an eighth of a turn clockwise. The trim pot is a small screw on the stepper driver board.
    That might do the trick as it allows more current to the motor
    Please let me know how that goes.

12. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Ok, but this will take me a bit to find it, since I ordered the printer already assembled.

I've also got to fix the Z axis now since the screws aren't in the housing. Is there an easy way to level the Z once I get that done? And where do you adjust the Z limit switch?

13. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, that is fine.
    Make sure to check this section out: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?forums/official-documentation.14/
    Especially the getting started video. That will show you how to level the Z/X Axis. To adjust the Z Limit switch, on the right side of the printer, on the smooth threaded rod you will see the switch. You will want to loosen the screw, and push it up a little, about the same amount you think the nozzle needs to be raised. I believe the Getting started video shows all of this.

14. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Ok, I checked out the videos and I see how to fix the Z axis and level it.

I'm not sure which screw I'm supposed to turn on the stepper driver board though for the trim pot for the X axis. Can you give me a picture/location? I don't see anything like it mentioned in the wiring video.

15. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Talking with the team right now to get you more info. Give me one minute please.

16. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael. So it is a screw that looks like this, on one of the stepper drivers. I am currently printing, so cant look under my printer, but it is I think, off the top of my head the one to the right. It is labeled "X AXIS" on it so it shouldnt be to hard to find. Let me know if that helps.

Attached Files:

17. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Ok, found the trim pot with those directions, and straightened out the Z axis.

Unfortunately the X is still not working. Before the trim pot adjustment (as seen in video), it shakes back and forth randomly when given a move command.

After trim pot adjustment, it now vibrates back and forth much louder (and I think faster.) If I hit "Home" for the X value, it moves back and forth in larger motions, but stops randomly. Need another video of this action?

18. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

All you have to do is swap x and y motor connections as i stated earlier. If its a problem with the stepper the gripe will follow to the y axis. That will at least let you know if you have a bad stepper motor. Now that you already messed with the trim pots you should read the links I listed below for proper readjustment.

If the motor is good you can swap the stepper drivers next. There is a spare driver included with the ramps board that you can make use of ...OR ....you can swap the x driver with the y axis driver. to see if the gripe follows. If the gripe follows here then you have a bad stepper driver.

Note:
    adjusting the trim pot requires careful adjustment with an attached meter to get the setting dialed in. Improper current setting will overheat and cause your driver to constantly cut out and/or damage your driver board.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1182
    http://reprap.org/wiki/Pololu_stepper_driver_board
    http://bootsindustries.com/portfolio-item/pots-adjustments/

19. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hellow Michael, we don't recommend switching those cables yet, it can get confusing. Please wait while I get more info from the team for you. Don't worry about the issue above that cambo said, as such small changes shouldn't affect anything.

20. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Well I'm on the East coast. So just leave me something to try next and I'll update in the morning. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.