1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problem with the X axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael Stone, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

seems as though my suggestions are not appreciated on this section.

maybe i missed it, IS THIS ONLY AN ADMINISTRATOR HELP SECTION??

which brings me to another question that needs to be answered.

THESE PRINTERS ARE NOT FULLY CALIBRATED WHEN PACKAGED UP AND SHIPPED. IF THEY WERE WE WOULD NOT BE SEEING UNLEVEL BEDS OR ISSUES LIKE MICHEALS. IF A MACHINE WAS FULLY CALIBRATED BEFORE SHIPMENT AND TESTED WE WOULD NOT BE SEEING PROBLEMS THAT HE IS HAVING.

These printers are more pre-assembled /pre-configured printers. NOT FULLY ASSEMBLED AND CALIBRATED as stated in the kickstarter campaign.

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

micheal what part of the East coast, i'm in Florida?

3. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Cambo, that is not the case. This section is for everyone to offer support, and receive support. We find it easiest to keep people from doing anything to their printer, until it is working. It is easiest for support reasons. Sorry if anything is misinterpreted. But when doing things like unplugging cables, and if some get mixed up or what not, that could just add to a list of issues.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Completely disagree with you on this one Harry small changes can affect things greatly.
    I have actually done this on my cnc machine an the slightest adjustment had major effects the pots you mention control current going to the motor the first thing I would do I physically check the motor itself to see if it is warm to the touch, hot to the touch, or so hot you can't touch it. All of these can easily happen by adjusting the pots too much or in the wrong direction. I almost a lost motor on a CNC machine I have due to an incorrect setting. Do this very carefully and check the motor temp is should not get hot ever maybe warm but never hot. Mike , just be careful in what you do and check the physical temp of the motor frequently. The ROBO team had me make an adjustment as well and I checked the temp of that motor frequently in my case it was the extruder motor. If you have a meter it can't hurt to check things out. Just my two cents worth

5. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Cambo - I'm in NC. And your suggestion about swapping the cables makes perfect sense to tell if it's the motor or the board.

Jeff - I'll check the temps after caffeine this morning. Not really awake yet.

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Michael,
    There are some potential pitfalls to both suggestions that you need to be a little careful with.

If you are going to mess with the pot. Make sure to give yourself something to indicate what it was set at before you made any adjustments.

If you are going to swap the cables (which seems like a perfectly rational thing to do to me) make sure that you have both axes relatively centered and you have your hand on the estop. If you switch and tell it to make an x-move when switched, you could crash into the y-axis limit switch because it wouldn't know to stop when you hit it.

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Printed is right,
    you'll only want to make small moves ( manually moving the axis by rephost host buttons 10mm at a time) once you swap cables and make sure they are plugged in correctly. Dont use the home all button.

If the gripe followed, you'll notice it on the first move.
    if not the axis will move 10mm and stop.

Swap the cables back, and swap x and y stepper drivers. if the grip followed here your y-axis will studder/not work and your x axis will work as normal.. good luck.

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Do everything in small controlled steps do not try to finish doing it better make your goal to be satisfied how it is working after you made the last set of changes. Once you are satisfied THEN you are done, so just take it slow.

Printed has an excellent point use fine tip marker and somehow indicate where you started BEFORE changing anything on the pot that way you have a better chance to get back to your initial point if thinks get to mixed up.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The solution to having to wake up in the morning is simple don't go to bed LOL

Hope you get it resolved just take it extremely slow and check all the things you can for excessive heat which is usually bad when it comes to electronics.

Except in heaters and such.
    LOL

10. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Ok!

I didn't end up working on this yesterday, but I just did some testing.

Thanks to everyone above to make sure I didn't make anything worse.

I'm a layman at 3d printing, but from what people are saying it looks like a bad stepper motor. I swapped the plug from the X and Y axis (flipping it 180, as described in the wiring assembly video), and when I tried to move the Y, the X axis still freaked out. Z still moves perfectly normally.

(And I have video uploading of the testing today..... will edit it and post link.)

EDIT: Edited to add - I didn't notice any heat buildup on the X stepper motor. After testing it was still cool to the touch, but I didn't have it on for long.

11. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

New video of issues, as mentioned in last post:

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

okay well, that narrows it down. When you had the x and y swapped did the Physical y axis (with it swapped you would be clicking on the x axis to move the y axis) work as normal also? because that would tell me if the driver for the x axis is working also.

If you have a multimeter you can read out the coils on the suspected bad stepper motor via the connector, let me see if i can find the specs on the stepper motor.(robo guys would probably have this)

in the mean time you can check to see if any of the wires to the x axis stepper motor are damaged causing any type of shorts. and/or check wiring soldering connections to see if it may have been accidentally soldered wrong.

13. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

I didn't plug the wires for the Y axis into the X section of the board.... but I can and give that a shot.

And I think I have a multimeter around here somewhere...... but that may take a while to find.

14. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Ok. With the Y stepper plugged into the X axis spot on the board, I hit the control for moving the X axis and the tray moves back and forth just fine. No problems there.

I'll look for the multimeter.

15. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Well, that means your x driver is working fine and its most likely a bad stepper or bad wiring to the stepper.
    I found the specs on the motors. here they are. part number Dw42hs40-1704

http://www.dewochina.com/product-54.html
    dwhs42.jpg

the chart above says each phase or each coil should be reading 2 ohms for this stepper motor.

In this photo below with the 4 leads. take your meter set it on ohms, and read between blk and grn, it should read 2ohms. then read between red and blu, it should read 2 ohms. (Note: they may have used different color wire extensions, so be aware of that and read whatever is connected to those colors.) the colors shown are directly attached to the stepper.

20120706154224_22340.png

but im willing to bet you have a bad stepper motor. contact robo team directly and link this post. If they havent' already seen it.

16. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Thanks Cambo. I'll try checking that as soon as I find the multimeter. I moved last year, and it's probably in a box somewhere in the garage.

Fortunately for me I jumped on the Kickstarter early while they still have the "get 2 printers for $x" goal, and the Robo team said they would honor that even though they had to pull that option off Kickstarter. So I got 2. The 1st one showed up on Friday, and that's the one that has the X axis problem. The 2nd one showed up Saturday, and that one is working great.

I mention this because I'm uploading videos of the second one (working) to YouTube so people can see it, and I didn't want to confuse people or make them think printer #1 was miraculously fixed.

17. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

well at least you got one printer that works..:)

18. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Ok, I found a crappy multimeter that I have. I'll see if I can figure out how to check the ohms.

Out of curiosity, how to I tell what is coming off the board after the trim pot adjustment? I want to make sure it's right, or that I set it back to what is right.

And Harry/team: What do I do about getting a replacement stepper/wiring?

19. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Michael, I would send either Mike or Coby (both would be best) a message on the forums and I'll let them know.

20. Michael Stone

Michael Stone Member

Messages sent to both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.