1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problems with TPU (nGEN Flex)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adikted2astro, May 4, 2018.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

So I've been trying all day to print a simple part using Colorfabb nGEN Flex filament. The filament itself prints well, but I'm having a few problems with it. First of all bed adhesion. No matter what I try, hair spray, glue stick, etc., it will print fine for the first few layers, then start to warp and come off the bed. So my settings right now are:

H: 255 C
    B: 80 C
    Retraction:1mm
    Extrusion multiplier: 1.25
    Printing Speed: 40 mm/s
    Layer height 0.100 mm
    NO cooling at all

So I tried several things today. I tried increasing my z-offset to hopefully get the first layer to stick better, but that literally did nothing, even after I raised the offset by 0.07 mm. Every time I changed it, nothing happened. It seemed to extrude the exact same way. I even kicked up the extrusion multiplier to 1.50 and it did nothing to help! I tried increasing the bed temp, decreasing the bed temp, increasing the hgotend temp, decreasing the hotend temp.................nothing. I tried turning off retraction, increasing retraction distance, decreasing retraction distance, increasing extrusion width, increasing/decreasing printing speed, absolutely everything I can think of and nothing, nothing, nothing has helped.

It really prints BEAUTIFULLY though, very clean layers and excellent layer-to-layer adhesion. I just really need to get it to stick to the bed better. Colorfabb recommends printing on Buildtak, but I refuse to print on that surface. I haven't had very good experiences with it. Most of the time, the print sticks to the Buildtak so much that I have to pry it off with every ounce of strength I have, or even hit it with a hammer (for PLA and ABS anyway). I print on glass only. As a matter of fact, my prints were crap before I started printing on glass.

Has anyone had experience with this? It doesn't have to be nGEN Flex, just TPU based filaments in general. I would really appreciate any insight. Thanks.