1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prometheus System coming to Kickstarter to give dual color extrusion with single hotend

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by danzca6, Aug 30, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Eric will have a Kickstarter package that includes more than 1 system for a discount? I might be interested in going in on this with someone if he does. :) Just sayin'...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Works for me

3. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

Sorry for the delay! It took me a while to find this thread. Thank you @Geof for the email!

I am going to try to answer all of the questions with this post so please bear with me :)

@danzca6 We are currently using CURA for slicing because it can easily generate a purge tower. However, any Slicer that can generate a purge tower and has user configurable tool change G-code should work!

@KTMDirtFace There are more details on the campaign page, but essentially we are retracting one filament out of the hot end and feeding the next one into it in order to switch between filaments. Of course, that sounds easy, but the devil is in the details. We are the first to get this method of multi-filament 3D printing working reliably.

@Printed Solid I totally understand your skepticism. People have been trying this method of filament switching for a long time but nobody has got it working reliably...except us!

We swap the filament hot so there is no time wasted for temperature changes. As for the deformed end of the filament, much of the R&D for this project went into dealing with that problem. Using precision machined components from carefully selected materials, along with custom filament switching G-code, we are able to reliably switch between filaments.

This is explained in detail on our Kickstarter campaign page.

@danzca6 In terms of compatibility with other hot ends and other extruders, this is something that I will work on after the Kickstarter campaign. For this Kickstarter, I want to be able to constrain as many variables as possible to avoid a troubleshooting nightmare which results when you have customers using different hardware components. I thought it would be best to keep it simple for now to ensure that my product will work for my Kickstarter backers :)

As for the PLA oiler, I never oil filament when printing PLA, but if you choose to do so it would not interfere with the functionality of the design.

Here are all of the news articles about the Prometheus System. Please share them on social media!

https://3dprint.com/147493/prometheus-system-kickstarter/

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160...-prometheus-set-to-launch-on-kickstarter.html

http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2016/8...terial-option-for-single-extruder-3d-printers

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/prometheus-system-kickstarter-95071/

https://www.3printr.com/prometheus-system-multi-filament-3d-printing-launch-kickstarter-0042071/

http://www.cantechletter.com/2016/0...tario-launch-3d-printer-kickstarter-campaign/

Cheers,
    Eric

Geof and danzca6 like this.
  4. danzca6

Eric, thanks for the detailed reply and the extra news articles about the product. I guess I have some reading to do this afternoon. This might be a hard Kickstarter to pass up on the early bird. I have read so many places talking about doing similar multi filament printing with a single extruder of various designs. To hear you have it working reliable is fantastic. Opens the doors to new ideas. Great work and I can't wait to see more. Thanks again for taking the time out of your busy schedule to reply.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Eric was kind enough to send me a few prints with my promethius when i asked about the promethius system and has given me the ok to share the photos. I have to say it is impressive to say the least.

Let me know your thoughts. If you promise to ship it back ill ship the prints to you so you can see for yourself.:)

20160705_175134.jpg
    20160705_175140.jpg

20160705_175145.jpg

If youd like to see other sides of the prints let me know and ill attach more photos :)

Ryan TeGantvoort and RP Iron Man like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Eric makes good stuff :)
    I am in ...

RP Iron Man and Geof like this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes he does! Incredible attention to details. @mark tomlinson make sure to get the promethius with the 15% off code to save some bucks

Is it going on the detail printer Orin place of that scary volcano ;)

8. danzca6

If your getting the full system with the kickstarter, the 15% off code isn't the best deal. Cheaper to get the early bird from the prices I've seen.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I better redo my math but I thought it was cheaper to get the add on and already have the promethius?

#29 Geof, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  10. danzca6

$147 for upgrade early bird
    $201 for full early bird w hotend
    $54 difference

$79 - 15% = $67.15 just hotend

$13.15 savings doing early bird full system

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@danzca6 ... You'd think I could do basic math right lol.

12. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@Geof @danzca6 I did make the Kickstarter discount a little higher because if you purchase the full early bird with the Prometheus V2 hot end you still have to wait until November for delivery . On the other hand, if you purchase the Prometheus V2 now and get the upgrade kit on the Kickstarter campaign it is a little more expensive with the 15% discount. However, you get to have fun printing with the Prometheus right away and you receive the Prometheus System upgrade in November :)

It is a trade-off so people can choose whatever option they prefer.

Cheers,
    Eric

Geof likes this.
  13. danzca6

Your killing me Eric.. Killing me!!! Why can't I have my cake and eat it too?

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can :) get a promethius now then buy a full kit for the next printer :-D

15. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

Haha! @Geof That is the perfect solution!

Geof likes this.
  16. danzca6

Man...I guess I'm going to have to pick up another paper route

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I know right !

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I could probably do without a kidney...

Ryan TeGantvoort and Geof like this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Whats the going rate ? If we refer somebody will they give more ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In all seriousness though good products. Good support.
    (might be worth a kidney)

Geof likes this.