1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Promethius V2 on the Robo R2

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Geof, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Disclaimer- Minor hardware modification and a few parts required :D. 1 printed part. .stl attached.

Since I enjoyed the Promethius V2 from @RP Iron Man on my R1+ and have had issues running a few different flavors of filaments I decided to put it on the R2!

To do so you need: A promethius V2, a Drill, a metal file, a stud thermistor from reprap champion (https://reprapchampion.com/products...cos-thermistor-for-3d-printer-extruder-hotend) and a few terminal pins from Digikey (part number 455-1042-1-ND). @WheresWaldo sourced the pins and this crimper which I suggest you buy (I waiting and wish I hadn't :D) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AVVO7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So! Once you have all that ! You remove the Hexagon from the R2, you'll reuse the heater and the white connector for the thermistor.

Print the spacer file attached prior to setting up and removing the hexagon or have someone print for you:

Promethius V2 setup:
    1.Assemble V2 (you will use the fan and connector from the back of the R2 unit as the cold end fan)
    2.You will need to mount the promethius in a drill and use a file to "turn down" the OD of the mounting position to match the hexagon. This was .015 for me, took a couple minutes so be patient and take your time. Test fit it in the mount you took the hexagon out of as you go, once it fits, stop.
    3.The PTFE Tube gets cut flush with the top of the promethius to avoid modification to the hardware on the Robo carriage
    4. remove the white connector from the old thermistor and crimp the new terminals onto the stud thermistor from the link above. Once done push the white connector onto the new thermistor.
    5.Remove the fan shroud and install the spacer. The spacer drops the fans and IR down low enough for the longer hotend of the Promethius. I had to drill my bolt holes in the fan shroud but if you have longer bolts that will work just fine (I believe they were 40 or 45 mm M3 bolts) Once done assemble everything and ensure your connectors are plugged in tight.

Using the epcos thermistor from the link above means no firmware change necessary, but as always redo your extruder calibration to ensure all is ok.

Have fun!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Now you need to use my fan shroud to get a 30 mm fan directly behind the Promethius heat sink

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the fan bolts directly to the promethius cold end :D no reason ;)

WheresWaldo likes this.
  4. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Speaking of... I've had problems maintaining nozzle temps with the larger 30mm fan mod. Anyone else have that issue?

Jeff

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@JeffreyB Which shroud are you using, Robo's or mine? Did you PID tune the hotend heater?