1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ProtoPasta Steel filament

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by mark tomlinson, May 9, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I did a test print with this today (see photo). Printed exactly like my normal PLA settings. Worked great first time, no post processing this is how it came off of the printer. Also this is a 0.8 nozzle (from the volcano kit) so not quote a fine a detail.

It has more weight than just PLA, but (IMHO) less weight than an equivalently sized steel part.
    It is quite hard. Definitely feels like metal.

Not sure at this point if polishing is feasible (Bronzefil is difficult to polish).

20150509_103920[1].jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bear in mind this model is like just at an inch in its longest dimension. So this is not a huge print.

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I've been trying (and repeatedly failing) to print the 3DBenchy thing with this filament with various settings. The material either clogs at 200 degrees on the extruder or fails to fuse layers together at 195 (going higher than 200 causes a more immediate cook-and-clog reaction vs. the more gradual clog that occurs at 200).

It seems to be entirely dependent on nozzle temp, as well. Layer height doesn't seem to make much difference other than getting "farther" into a print before a clog occurs.

This is with the E3D v6 and a .4 nozzle (I should note that no other material has given me this much trouble).

I'm going to give it one final trial with the volcano and a larger nozzle once I order a spare from Printed Solid in the nozzle I intend to try it with, but that'll be after I figure out my other material settings for the volcano.

4. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

daniel871 I have no experience with this material but a larger nozzle may be the key or slowing down your print speeds.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I've found this to be a really easy material to print with, but temps have to be higher than other PLA. 195-200 probably won't cut it.
    I have not printed this on my Robo yet, but have printed on my UM with a 0.8mm nozzle and on my Tinkerine Ditto Pro with a 0.35mm nozzle with no issues once I got temperature right. On the UM, the thermocouple is pretty well messed up, so I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I think I ran it up to 230. Ditto Pro was closer to 220.
    I don't think you're seeing a 'cook and clog' reaction. That is a problem with wood filled materials, but not with metal unless you're letting it sit at high temp for extended periods of time (which is a problem with any PLA). If it really is clogging and not just underextruding from the low temp, it might mean you have some residue from a higher temp material or some charred residue from a prior print. Try a cold pull, cleaning filament, etc.

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Hm.

Protopasta's website talks about using temps around 215. I'll give it one more shot at 230 if high temps aren't a problem so long as the material keeps moving.

Only materials I've been printing recently on the current nozzle have been PLA and PET+ (which has a much higher extruding temperature than this does).