1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prototype complete. Now what ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tonycstech, Feb 20, 2014.

1. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

So i have my model printed and tested for fit and functionality.
    Now i want it to be made of normal plastic or something on automotive grade.
    Where do i send my STL in China for them to make it for me ?

2. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

I'm not aware of a service that does that kind of thing.

However, you can print your part out of ABS with sufficient infill for strength and acetone vapor polish it. It won't look like it came off of a production line but can be made attractive and reasonably structurally sound.

3. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

I should clarify. I was just assuming that you were wanting a one-off or a very small batch. If you're looking for mass production, I'm sure there are plenty of sources but I don't have them.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Protolabs can make small batches. Though it's not cheap

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

What kind of qtys are you looking at making? That will determine where you want to go to get your parts made and how much they cost.

6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Well i need a funnel.
    There is something like that on the marker already with multiple attachments for different radiators, but i wanted my own.

I also need some caps for washer fluid reservoir that broke so i mad one from ABS but its too rigid, i need softer plastic yet not eazy melting.

You know not allot. Few things here and there. Maybe some other parts and accessories that sell for higher price and dont do exactly what i need them to do.

Mostly single individual parts or 2 at most.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds like you should be printing in Nylon

2 people like this.
  8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

reservoir tank for window washer perhaps, but there are some plastics i need that would go right next to the engine and i dont want them to melt.
    What other high temp printing materials are out there suitable for automotive parts ?

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

so, you're definitely not at a point of going to china for molds :)

I think you'd be in good shape with 645 Taulman Nylon or send it to shapeways or something for laser sintered nylon.

There are *a ton* of options when you start looking at SLA or SLS processes, but you're going to need to find a professional / industrial service bureau that offers all of those options and you are definitely going to pay for it.

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

What does 645 has to do with nylon ?
    is 618 any good ?

11. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Both 645 and 618 are different types of nylons.

They are both extremely strong and heat resistant. If you get your print settings right, they're even pretty strong in the z-direction. 645 is stronger and more heat resistant, but also more expensive. 618 has come down in price enough to be about the same price as premium ABS or PLA, but 645 is still pricey. Although if you start comparing it against other 3D printing methods to get your part prototyped, it is comparatively cheap (i.e. 1 lb of laser sintered nylon is going to be way more than 1 lb of 645).

The downsides to these materials is that they are stringy, soak up moisture, and have a pretty significant tendency to warp, so you have a learning curve with them that is steeper than most other materials. Taulman has a ton of into on their site to help learn.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You'll probably need a replacement hotend (like an E3D) for some of that stuff (the print temps are perhaps >230 in some cases).

However, the tests I have done with Nylon are positive...it is a sturdy print material for sure. Like Matt says it tends to warp (more so than ABS in some instances) so other things may need to be tweaked (add strategic 'mouse ears' for starters).

13. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I did a print at 250C in 618 last night and it is incredibly strong. So, you might want to just start out with that since it's cheaper.

14. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Already have E3d V4. Firmware tweaked for higher temps too.
    What do u mean by mouse ears ?
    What do you do to make it warp less ? Bed at high temp and what else ? Slower or faster print ? More solid or more hollow ?

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

See this object:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:66030

Notice the round sections at the corners? Those are what I mean. They add grip and help avoid warp. You can easily trim this off when the model is complete. tesseract had provided STL versions of different sized ones (I reattached one here) just place them on the object bed in Repeteir and when sliced it becomes a solid object (with these added to the first layer). The STL here is very thin (one or two layers if memory serves) very easy to remove.

Attached Files:

16. Printed Solid

Staff Member

More fill = more warp. Warping occurs due to coefficient of thermal expansion; the material shrinks when it cools which puts a lot of stress on the base. The more material in the model, the higher the forces exerted when it shrinks.
    Slower speed will help to some extent especially at the first layers just because you're disturbing that bond to the base less.

Nylons stick well to cellulose fibers. The recommended best build surface is Garolite LE roughened to expose more cloth fibers (available from mcmaster carr). Depending on how big your part is, you can also print it on blue tape, wood, or a sheet of nylon. There is advice at taulman-3d.com.

17. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Thanks for detailed info !

2 people like this.
  18. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

What about using Shapways? Probably just as expensive as China!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk