1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Protrusion in otherwise smooth face

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Eric Viglotti, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Hello,

I have been using Simplify3D and the Robo R2 with very nice results compared to Cura. However, for some models in some areas, I have some odd looking protrusions. Sometimes it's zits and dots which I know are from retraction, but this question is more about something much more consistent layer to layer and reproducible every time the object is printed.

If you look at the attached screenshot, there are some very nice smooth faces and then this section that repeats seemingly over 20 or 30 layers and it's not on the smooth face. Anyone ever seen this?

I've also attached the S3D factory file, though I don't know that this is an S3D issue per se as I have seen other similar issues with Cura.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It looks like a section where something is allowing more movement than it should. On the R1 I'd say belt slop or a bearing issue, but on the gantry style R2/C2 I'd look more at the gantry to make sure it is secure and not moving about at that height.

Geof likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Also note that although S3D was the best at the time of release, there are still quirks in their G-code generation algorithms. Something like this might be alleviated by slightly rotating the print on the build platform.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yup, this :)

All of the slicers I have ever tried had the feature that slight rotation could significantly improve the slice.

5. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Thanks so much. I will try to rotate the print slightly and see what happens. Seems truly bizarre. @WheresWaldo, maybe this starts a whole new debate, but if S3D was best at the time, what is your preference now, back to Cura?

Thanks!

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Humans are creatures of habit. I am still using S3D but have looked at the new version of Slic3r that Josef Prusa has basically taken over the development of, https://www.prusa3d.com/slic3r-prusa-edition/. Cura has also "caught up" to all the original advantages that S3D had over it in the past.

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I still can't get supports to behave as well in any other slicer, but given time everyone will eventually catch up.

The process model they use is the best out there in terms of controlling complex print slices IMHO but that is something that can be hard to get used to

8. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Good to hear. I still really like S3D because of the ability to bury retraction marks "inside" a pot or something by moving where the retraction marks are likely to occur, as well as all of the good support material features.

It's tricky though because if you look at the attached for another print job with a curved surface, Cura is on the right and the retraction marks are brutal. S3D on the left has the retraction marked moved to a less obvious surface inside the pot, but it has this random line around layer 10 and again around layer 30 (I'm guessing) and this big block of protrusions.

I have a note out to S3D and I'm doing some additional testing, just wanted to see if others had seen this before.

What's more tricky is that one of the models I am printing has a spiraling extrusion, meaning that any point during the print, that face is oriented differently to the bed, so I doubt rotating the print will help, but I'll definitely try.

Thanks.

Attached Files: