1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered PT100 Temperature Reading Fluctuating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jordan Weinrich, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Jordan Weinrich

Jordan Weinrich New Member

Hi, I recently replaced the temp sensor i had with a pt100, using the amplifier board and following the instructions from a thread on here. It is hooked up correctly and i made the changes to the firmware and uploaded that but at room temp the sensor is reading about 441c fluctuating slightly. I unplugged the sensor and it is reading the same value but not fluctuating. I also unplugged the amplifier board and it still read the same value but not fluctuating. I have quadruple checked the firmware and I'm not seeing any problems. I could not find any solutions to this any where.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You have a short circuit most likely in the wiring back to the RAMPS board. If you pull the sensor wire from the RAMPS what does it read? It is also possible that the amplifier/adapter board is not working.
    If you try a normal thermistor and the reading works that will rule out the RAMPS board.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Did you connect the amplifier to AUX1 pin A3 (actual physical pin is 5 on the connector? Pin 1 is 5V, pin 3 is GND, pin 5 is A3. Normally AUX1 is open. Did you modify the pins.h file to indicate that the new pin is 3 (line 48 in ROBO3DR1PLUSV2 firmware)? Did you change line 132 in Configuration.h to use sensor 20. On the R1+ if you still have the original board I am not sure where AUX1 is or even if there are pins soldered to the board. I never had a +PLUS.

RAMPSPT100.jpg

4. Jordan Weinrich

I uploaded the original firmware and plugged in the old thermistor and it read properly. I also took out the wires from the board and it still read 440c.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You can't plug a PT100 amp into the thermistor terminals, they must be plugged into an analog input.

6. Jordan Weinrich

im aware. i have the amplifier board. I placed the old temperature sensor in the old spot it was originally in and it worked fine. when i switched the firmware back to the new one and tried reading from the pt100 on the amplifier board it did not work.I have it in the bottom left 3 and at one point it showed 20c which is room temp and then it went up to 190 to 290c and is staying up there.

#6 Jordan Weinrich, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is the wiring for the RAMPS connectors, not sure which pins you landed on with AUX1 but some of those are signal and some are power... landing something that expected signal onto power might be bad.

Attached Files:

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You cannot use the top three leads, lead 2 and lead 4 are okay to get power for the AMP but lead 6 is a digital input not an analog input, you can use lead 5 or lead 7 for the signal PIN as they are A3 and A5 according to the RAMPS pinout, You would then change out pins.h to indicate either 3 or 5 depending on which lead you put the signal on.

Right now it sounds like a bad AMP if it drifts from 20° to 200° all by itself, or it isn't specified in firmware correctly.

9. Jordan Weinrich

I havent changed anything and currently it is reading 19c, which is about the same as what the bed temperature is reading at right now. I tried heating the extruder and it started to heat then it jumped up to over 200c. then i hit the reset button on the arduino and it went back down to the actual temperature.

Also recently it has had problems connecting to my computer. Not sure if they are related but i thought Id mention it. Hitting the reset button on the board seems to get it to connect though.

Attached Files:

#9 Jordan Weinrich, Feb 8, 2019
  10. Jordan Weinrich

It was doing good and reading the correct temperature for a while so i heated up the extruder and the temperature was fine. I turned it off and let it cool down and it was fine. I decided to do a test print to see what would happen and right when i thought it was fine, it came to the part of the preprint cycle to where it preheats the extruder after the bed leveling and then it when crazy again... at this point i drilled a hole in the case so that i can press the reset button with a small screw driver without having to flip it on its side and unscrewing it all. I hit the emergency stop and the printer disconnected and would not reconnect. I hit the reset button and it reconnected and was showing the correct temperature again.

Attached Files:

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It is sounding more and more like a hardware issue, like a bad amp that drifts.

Geof likes this.
  12. Jordan Weinrich

Well its a new e3d amp that i got from matterhackers.com, i just installed it and havent even printed anything with it because ive had issues the whole time. So if it were the amp do you think contacting either e3d or matterhackers would do me any good so that i dont have to spend another $20 for one when the original didnt even work?

It seems to only go bonkers when it is going to print something. When i try to just heat it up without printing something it doesnt go crazy.

EDIT: I tried to print something again and the extruder was heating and then jumped a little bit after it got to 100c

Attached Files:

#12 Jordan Weinrich, Feb 8, 2019
  13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes, I have never dealt with Matterhackers but have heard that they are reputable.

Geof likes this.
  14. Jordan Weinrich

Okay. I contacted them and explained the issue along with a few screenshots of the temperature graphs and hopefully they will send a replacement and when they do I will make an update on whether it fixed it or not.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Take your pick, it is either a bad amp or bad RAMPS/Arduino.
    Since the thermistor works fine I'd lean towards the amplifier for the thermocouple.

Geof likes this.