1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Questions about Robo 3D R1+

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rod Smith, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

Hi,

I'm considering buying my first 3D printer, and the Robo 3D R1+ seems like a great value because of its bigger build volume compared to other printers of similar price. I do have some questions, though, that I don't see addressed anywhere. Specifically:

• "New" vs. "Old" on Amazon? -- The Amazon listing for the printer shows two prices for the R1+: An "old" price of $854.78 and a "new" price of $499.99. I don't see any obvious differences between the two in terms of specs or description (although maybe I've missed something), so I'm wondering what's up with this. Was there a massive price drop and Amazon is just hoping to offload inventory they bought at the higher price? Or have there been enough changes in the printer without a model number change that these are two different machines? If so, is the more expensive "old" printer really so much better than the "new" one that it's worth an extra $354.79?
    • Improvements in print quality? -- Related to this, I've seen some reviews (like one on PC Magazine's site) that claim the Robo R1+ print quality is below par, or at least not as good as the best competing units. That particular review is from over a year ago, though, and I know that Robo has been making incremental improvements to the R1/R1+ since its introduction, so I'm wondering if the print quality of a unit I'd buy now would be better than one purchased a year ago.
    • Sold out -- Although Amazon says they've got units in stock now, the Robo direct order page claims the unit is "sold out." I know the terms retailers use for out-of-stock items are not always entirely clear, so I want to check to be sure this model is still in production; if not, I'll be more likely to order quickly from Amazon vs. wait a while.
    • Black Friday or Cyber Monday Sales? -- I see that last year there was a sale for Black Friday. Is there any word on a similar sale this year? If so, is there likely to be a discount on the R1+, or should I just take the huge price drop compared to a year ago and run with it?
    • Real-world Linux compatibility? -- I see that it's possible to print from Linux to these machines, but are there any serious caveats or drawbacks, compared to using macOS or Windows, or compared to printing to some other brand of 3D printer? If so, I can use macOS or Windows to print, but I prefer using Linux (any variety, although Ubuntu is my preferred distribution).
    Thanks for any insights on any of these issues. I'm just starting to do my research, and 3D printing is a pretty vast world, so it's a lot to take in!

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Robo brought back the R1+, my guess was in an attempt to reduce their inventory of spare parts. It is a "New" printer and the same as those older "New" printers, so $499 is the current retail price.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The OS is largely irrelevant other than being able to run a slicer or host program on that OS.
    Ideally you get an LCD and run the printer stand-alone anyway for the actual printing part.
    Then it matters not a whit which OS you ran the slicer on.
    GCode is Gcode and is largely OS agnostic. .

I am not familiar with what host programs are available for Linux, but Google can help.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The only change between old and new R1+ that I'm aware of is they re released it Nov 1st (ish) and the new bed has a better insulator than the old bed. Still the same R1+. Agree with @mark tomlinson on the controller. The XXL controller is plug and play (amazon is your friend)

I have 3 R1+ machines that run literally all the time. They are great machines but there are a few things you'll need to print to get "Great" print quality. Dual cooling fans for PLA is a must, we can walk you through this and its very cheap. I could likely even make you up a set if needed. @WheresWaldo has a up to date mesh leveling firmware I'd suggest using right away vs the stock firmware which we can also help you with if you have issues. If you decide to do this the XXL controller is not plug and play anymore and I suggest getting the full graphics.
    Totally suggest buying from amazon. Amazing return policy if the unit gets damaged in shipping and you still get the Robo direct warranty and support (as well as us on the forum here to help you which you get either way :D )
    I have not heard of anything but you can always call and ask them if they have one planned? I really doubt the R1+ will be on sale since its already 500.00 vs the 800.00 when it first released. Maybe the R2/C2 will be? Not sure
    I dont use linnux so I cant help there :( sorry buddy. Check out Cura and Matter control (those are the 2 slicers that are free you can use with the R1+ right out of the box) and see if they are compatible? You can download them now and play with them to see how it works :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

Thanks for the replies! FWIW, I decided to go ahead and buy the R1+ from Amazon. It's supposed to arrive on Friday, so I'll be able to try it out this weekend. I've also ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 on which I intend to load OctoPi so as to enable network printing, but I'll try it out connected directly to a laptop computer initially.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

couple of very small upgrades and you'll be quite happy with the R1+. Congrats on your new purchase!

7. Avrution

Avrution Member

What upgrades might these be?

Also, is there a way to tell the different revisions of the units? Rod never replied back after receiving the unit, but I'm curious if Amazon tried to sell old stock versus the "new" models.

8. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

I've posted in other threads. The best of these, in terms of describing my overall experience, is likely to be this review of Linux software, which touches on other issues, as well. See my list of posts for links to miscellaneous other questions I've asked, many of which reveal problems I've had with the unit. (It is working, but has not been trouble-free -- I don't think the technology is mature enough yet for any 3D printer to be trouble-free, especially not at the ~$500 price point.)

The $500 unit I bought has all the features I've learned are R1+ features, vs. the older R1 or Kickstarter versions, so I don't think Amazon was mis-labeling and "dumping" older models at that price.

If I had to do it again, I might do so, or I might pass -- although I knew the technology was immature, I expected it to be a little more mature than it is; or I might spend the same amount for a printer with worse specs or a little more for something with similar specs but a better reputation (like a Prusa i3). Overall, though, I don't regret the purchase -- it was intended to be an introduction to 3D printing and a way to learn more about it, and it's succeeding at doing that.

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

He gets it. Heck even at double that price you can have a lot of issues.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My R1+ machines (all of them) run dual part cooling fans, E3DV6 and that is literally it. The machines work well, I just don't like the hexagon hotend (some do, I just dont) and dual part cooling fans is a must for PLA printing :D.

R1+ is the only one of the bunch that has leadscrews and white LEDS. The "newest" R1+ is identical to the R1+ released in 2015/2014 except I'm told the bed insulation is better.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, threaded rods with couplers attaching them to the Z steppers but the machine has two Z switches and autoleveling --> that is an R1 and if it has a single Z switch without autoleveling then it is a Beta.