1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Questions regarding the stock R2 nozzle

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DavidR, Mar 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

2. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

understand. But it is measuring between itself and the bed. But say the nozzle is 1mm less in length then the stock. it would seem that it would be 1mm off in it's measurement. I would think somewhere in the firmware the stock nozzles length is used for how high the nozzle is from the bed after IR runs it's course. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably :)

What will likely change is your Z offset. Rerun the wizards after the change

bill Snyder likes this.
  4. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

Thanks to @adikted2astro I have installed a glass bed on my R2. Thank you
    adikted2astro for the opportunity to get these. So I wanted to exchange my stock brass nozzle for a hardened steel one. Following instructions of a 7mm wrench I found no way. try 8mm, still too small. Try 9mm, too big. So went to SAE, tried 15/32 too small, 3/8 too big. So had to use a vice grip and got it off. Turns out to be a nozzle I have never seen ( thats not saying much) Nozzle was 7mm on the flat side but the edges perpendicular were rounded 9mm. Huge nozzle, thought the Print Solid nozzle would not fit. But it does!! Leveled, z-offset set, fine tune done, looking really good. Now I need a can of hairspray.Thanks for all the great advise.

#24 bill Snyder, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
    WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@bill Snyder Make sure it is unscented hair spray. If you have a WalMart near you, they have Aqua Net Extreme in a purple can. I have had a lot of success with that particular hair spray. Obviously since it is WalMart, inexpensive too.

bill Snyder likes this.
  6. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

The seal between the hotend throat and the nozzle is between the two faces. When tightening a brass nozzle the brass will "squish" into the steel throat and you will not get leakage. Unless the hardened steel nozzle and the throat are perfectly square and flat you risk leakage.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We use a number of hardened steel nozzles on all of the various printers we have and never had an issue. I'd suggest if the nozzle has those issues it is likely a cheaply made clone of some sort :)

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  8. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Hotends are expensive and the nozzle must be torqued tightly to prevent leakage. A hardened steel nozzle is harder than the stainless steel throat. It would only take one hardened steel nozzle that is off to damage the throat and the throat is not a replaceable item. I just don't want to take the risk. Brass nozzles are cheap and last at least a few rolls of PLA. It would be great if Robo sold a disposable brass washer to connect the hardened steel nozzle. Should also give a better seal.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Since we started using hardened steel a couple of years ago, no issues ever with an E3D on the printers using that (most of them).
    None to date with either of the two extruders in our C2 that have those nozzles as well. Those get swapped more since we alternate sizes more often with that printer.

YMMV and caution is not a bad thing.

I have nothing further to add :)

WheresWaldo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.