1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Quick release screw won't unscrew

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cody Holland, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

So on my very first print of my refurbished r1+ I got a clogged within 5 minutes, now I can't get it unclogged. I tried heating it and using wire and guitar string to unclog it and the won't even go in. Tech support to me I have to take the hotend and nozzle off, but even with a electric screwdriver the quick release screw won't move in the slightest. Level 2 support says that can't help me until I get the screw off... I'm fixing to just return this lemon and buy a different brand printer. Any suggestions before I throw in the towel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You are turning it to the left correct? Since the screw is under the x carriage, that can get confusing and accidentally turn it right when you think you are going left.

3. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

God you had to say left or right lol As a leftie I get confused Sadley... let's try clockwise or counterclockwise?

4. danzca6

My watch is digital...soooo...hahaha! counter clockwise

5. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

Lol that's about as bad as the tech support guy saying this was a fix as easy as tying your shoes... "fuck I only wear flip-flops!!" Then yes I'm turning counter clock wise

6. danzca6

I've heard of some cases where new Robos have had those bolts over torqued. It has caused some to have the nut on top to spin in the captive socket of the Greg's Wade and needing a new Greg's Wade when done getting it off.

7. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

So how to get it off at all and wtf is a Greg's Wade?

8. danzca6

Greg's Wade is the type of extruder on the Robo. It is what is sitting on top of the quick release plate. How to get it off, hate to say it, but you'll just have to find a way to get more torque turning it counter clockwise. Shouldn't be on that tight. If it makes it easier to get some force on it, you could remove the entire x axis. Just need to take off the z endstop brackets since the R1+ has the vertical wing things on them that keeps the X from just pulling off the brass nuts.

9. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

Oh so does that mean I have to buy a new extruder then? Cause I literally have only had this POS for 3 days.... ya I totally don't know how to do anything you said =/

10. danzca6

No you shouldn't need a new Greg's Wade unless you break it getting that quick release off. Kind of a oxymoron to call it a quick release in your case. All I can suggest is try harder and don't break anything...but that is really not helpful I know. If you still have the top of the case on, you could lay the printer on its side if that helps get a better angle to apply more torque.

11. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

So I turned it on it's side, turns out the screw is stripped

12. danzca6

ugh! QC on that has been horrible lately. Did you get it off? If so call Robo back and let them know they are still having over torque issues and QC issues with these carriages. Maybe they can at least send you new parts. If not they are M4x20mm pan head bolts if you need to stop at the store.

#12 danzca6, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hang in there Cody, once you get the screw out I'd bet it wont be a problem again :D. Apparently they dont know when plastic gives out in the assembly line.

14. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

QC? No I can't figure a way to get it out yet =(

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you can reach it, sometimes jamming the head of a screwdriver or something flat in beside the nut will keep it in place enough for you to get it loose. It doesn't help that those are probably Nylok nuts.

16. danzca6

QC as in Quality Control, not quick change...realized that might have been taken wrong. So get ahold of Robo again. Tell them what is up. You may have to take a dremal cutoff wheel to the bolt, but that would probably damage the plastic. They should really/hopefully direct you to what the next step is and send you out new parts to replace whatever might get damaged taking this off. Sorry that this has turned into bad experience.

17. danzca6

I think so far the issue is the bolt is stripped and not the nut turning in the captive cavity of the GW like we have seen on others lately. Robo must have someone with gorilla strength assembling the x carriages these days. Or the torque limit on their drill is way too high.

18. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

If the head is stripped they make a tool that can be used to get the screw out.
    Just one suggestion from a google search for tool to remove a stripped screw:
    https://www.lowes.com/projects/woodworking-and-crafts/remove-a-stripped-or-broken-screw/project

If the plastic that captures the nut is stripped then jamming something like a small screwdriver beside the nut may help.

Also some penetrating oil may help depending on the type of nut on it.

This sucks as a first experience. Hang in there, you have a lot of big brains pulling for you.

19. Cody Holland

Cody Holland Member

I called, luckly under a different name cause I was worried, and re explained my situation and had them walk me threw the procedure of removing the extruder, when it came to the screw I told them it was on too tight and hard to remove, but I finally got it and the plastic housing chipped apart. I asked for a replacement and they told me they wouldnt send me one since I damaged it while removing it...... I then asked if they didnt do any Quality controlled on the refurbished ones and that said they check every part before they leave and that the screw wasn't like that when it left them....

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can print a replacement if you want.
    Not excusing their approach, but you can print one.