1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R1 Plus economic model for producing small plastic items in bulk

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sam Greo, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Sam Greo

Sam Greo New Member

Hi Guys,

I am new to 3d printing.

I am wondering whether R1 Plus is suitable for bulk printing of small plastic items for sale. Total home-based item printing shop.

1. From the youtube videos that I have seen, the printed objects are not entirely smooth across all sides of the object , i.e there is rough surfaces here and there. Can these surfaces be smoothed post print ?

2. Is the printer good enough quality-wise to print out something like a mobile phone holder. I.e a phone holder will need to be fairly smooth throughout in order to feel pleasing to the touch. But it seems that such print precision requires higher priced print-devices ? ( Could you recommend me some if any are significantly better, but within the 2000 USD range. )

3. How long it takes to print out something 20cm x 10cm x 10cm ?

4 Can it print non stop daily if there is volume of items to be printed ?

5 It seems a bit noisy to me to use in a home setting .... maybe the new model of Robo3d with the plastic casing emits less sound ?

6 Any recommendations of other printers with all these features and better, in Personal Message are appreciated.

Any other relevant forum treads or external links on the subject ? Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome.

Sure, sanding, primer (stuff like XTC3D is awesome). However... you should be able to adjust the printer to get really nicely smooth prints before any post-processing. With the R1+ (not the R1) or the C2 there is no reason you can't get really smooth sides and finish. New users sometimes have issues getting the printer setup correctly (assuming it needs it with the R1+/C2) and that can lead to issues like those. Or they are using lower quality settings in order to print faster

Yes, although you want to consider the material more than the printer. Semiflexible? Hard? Heat resistant? All those matter. The printer can do this regardless.

Depends on many settings (what quality or level of detail you want to get). Can't even guess, but at that size... not long. Less than an hour, less than 30 minutes with lower quality settings. Would need an example model to slice in order to get specific.

Sure, totally up to you when you configure the printer settings for the slicer you are using and the model.

Yes, the news ones are quieter, but not night-and-day difference. Most gantry style or Rep-Rap style are going to be a bit noisy. Slowing down the print speed and acceleration can drastically help too as can motor snubbers/rubber pads.[/QUOTE]

#2 mark tomlinson, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

#3 mark tomlinson, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Geof likes this.