1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved R1 Plus Hot end and tip question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KNI1GHT, Apr 10, 2020.

1. KNI1GHT

KNI1GHT New Member

Hey folks....call me ignorant.....but for the 5+ years I've been using my (2) R1 Plus printers, I've had nothing but great and good luck with their performance.

Been recently dealing with extrusion issues that have got me baffled. One such issue was linked to a bad roll of filament I purchased. However, I recently found a replacement hot end for my second printer, and it started printing good....however, within a week or so, every other print led to a filament jam. I would clear the jam, then printing was fine again. Then....of course, more jamming several prints down the line. Regrettably, I can't even say what model or version it was of the hot end replacement....only that it was recommended for an R1 Plus replacement but it had no reviews for it. :-(

Anyway.....I'm still running into this issue. I can manually feed the filament slowly by hand, and it flows beautifully from the tip... However after a few inches fed into the hot end.....it begins to resist, and hang up and ultimately get stuck. My temp is constant at 190 degrees, and I'm always careful not to use old or brittle filament. I never touch my print speed, as it's always been set to the default speed that Matter Control recommends. (I know there is better software, but since it came with both printers, it's always performed great)

Here is what i have done to "hopefully" remedy the problem since I feel my print bed is leveling just fine....no issues there, stepper is good (now anyways), and even cleaned the feed wheel that guides the filament into the hot end. And never messed with fan speeds and such. Left those set at default. Mind you now, my printers have ALWAYS performed great on those default settings. I'm a firm believer in the notion, if it ain't broke, don't F with it. :)

I decided to order a roll of Hatchbox PLA filament since I've always had good luck with that brand and have never heard negative feedback....but again, I ordered a new hot end again, and some replacement brass tips. Size 4

Most everywhere I've been looking for hot ends with GOOD reviews and positive feedback........Seems everywhere I was looking, everyone was sold out, and the Robo company here also had none available.

What I found was through Amazon.

This guy right here....

FYSETC 3D Printer Robo Parts Original Hexagon Hotend Extruder Kit All Metal Set with 0.4mm Nozzle 100K Thermistor Heatsink Wire for Robo R1 1.75mm Filament 12V

My question is, am I just shooting myself in the foot here, or is this a decent one to go with? The last one I got was not the model I just mentioned I know that much.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Mike

2. KNI1GHT

KNI1GHT New Member

I forgot to mention, that the FYSETC part I ordered had a ton of positive feedback with only one negative stating that the wrong part was sent to the guy. But tons of good feedback.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All of mine with the exception of the Robo C2 (several R1/R1+ machines and other brands as well) all use E3D.
    Worth the extra effort and cost. My v5 E3D (which has been on the Robo beta since 2014) is and always has been a champ. The other R1 and R1+ use the E3D v6.

4. KNI1GHT

KNI1GHT New Member

I

I've read that too about the E3D v6 in regards to my R1 Plus printers, but I can't find anywhere to buy one. No links seem to be available anywhere. Or I'm just looking in the wrong locations.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a lot of Chinese knock-off clones. I can not suggest them, they are not nearly as well made as the actual E3D