1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered R1 printer not printing to any level of quality after storage and leadscrew upgrade.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John Coble, Jun 13, 2021.

1. John Coble

John Coble New Member

Howdy from Texas!

I've recently brought my R1 out from storage as I finally had space for a printer again! I have been tweaking and working at getting this thing back up and running for about a month and a half now, originally the z banding was so terrible that I went for the lead screw upgrade, and after the leadscrew upgrades things just got worse! I will attach an image of a couple of XYZ cubes and a screwless fan duct I printed yesterday. I know that this could be considered visual trouble shooting but I'm taking a last-ditch effort asking people with the same printer this time.

[​IMG]

As you can see in the picture, prints sometimes come out with good layers and switch inconsistently to squashed, unreliable layers. I have done the lead screw upgrade, using the original steppers and new couplers. Has anyone had similar issues?

#1 John Coble, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Calibrate the extruder first.
    Next sanity check all belts are tensioned (if any are loose you will get this same sort of result for each axis that has a loose belt).
    The lead screw upgrade should remove the need for couplers, but if all you did was replace the threaded rods then make darn certain you ran the rep rap calculator to get the new Z steps/mm -- actually even if you DID replace the threaded rods with leadscrews (no couplers) make sure you calculated the Z steps correctly with the calculator.

If all else fails replace the Z axis stepper driver boards.

3. John Coble

John Coble New Member

Let me attach a picture to give you a better idea of the lead screw upgrade Ive done.
    [​IMG]

Used the popular bangood 8mm lead screws
    [​IMG]

Also using the RepRap Cal I got my z steps when I did the install.
    [​IMG]

I've done an extruder calibration recently but I will complete another after a current XYZ cube runs its course... I noticed the nozzle touching the print in the last couple of tests. I've adjusted my flow in cura to 90% to see how that fairs. As im printing with PLA (200C Nozzle, 35C Bed) I don't expect it to raise much.

Will come back with results after calibration... Thanks!

4. John Coble

John Coble New Member

The extruder was already calibrated to an exact. Switched over to matter controller to see if something in my cura was off and im getting better quality... very weird stuff as cura is usually lightyears ahead of matter controller for my robo. ( Matter control print is on the left side of each picture) Only thing I can think is over extrusion and the nozzle ultimately ruining the print.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    All in all Im still not sure what else i could do besides go grab a multimeter and start checking numbers before just buying new drivers.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Given the cost of the drivers it is probably not worth your time to try and check or calibrate them.

10$ for 5 of them all over Amazon (or a little less).

Honestly it is not uncommon for all of the slicers to have quite different default behaviors because they all do things their own way (in terms of generating the GCode). even the MC sliced ones have room for improvement, but those are more straightforward in terms of how you would adjust settings to fix them (the visual troubleshooting guides have you covered on that).