1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered R1+ Prints Stuck in Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 4sfaloth, Sep 9, 2018.

1. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Hi all,

I've got a R1+ printer since last July and overall am pretty satisfied with the results. I didn't change the stock parameters (the one that come with MatterControl) and managed to get many successful prints using the blue PLA that came with the printer and also another white PLA. I used hairspray on the bed as recommended

However, I've recently changed the filament to a Wood PLA I have here (not from Robo3D) and am having issues with it sticking TOO MUCH. I've already stopped using the hairspray but still it is sticking too much to the bed. I've already damaged two prints while trying to remove them from the bed, and I am having to apply such force that I fear I might damage the bed itself or the mechanisms below. Are there any tricks to make PLA not stick so much? Perhaps I print with an unheated bed?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Unheated bed is a good idea.
    The hairspray actually works as a release agent as well so you might want to try it again.
    Cooling the bed completely will also help if you must use bed heat.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Also a "release agent" of some kind helps. I use the cheapest aerosol hair spray you can find. Must be aerosol not a pump (too much water in the pump hairsprays). In the US the go to brands seem to be White Rain and Aquanet, both are available in an extra hold and unscented versions.

4. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Thank you both for your answer!

I did not realize the hairspray also helped with the release in the end of the print. I'll try turning off the heating on the bed and also going back to using airspray (and maybe a bit more than I used to). If that does not work out I'll try the aerosol trick...