1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1 Z axis travels much further than X or Y for same input?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Nov 14, 2019.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Well, I would like to save the next owner, if any, as much grief as possible. I have not seen, that I recall, any data on jumper settings so if you have that, great.

I am also considering going to lead screws as I am kinda, sorta, bothered by watching the free ends of the threaded rods "flop about". No idea if lead screws would be better in that regard.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

https://www.reprap.org/mediawiki/images/0/06/RAMPS_dossier.pdf

Section 1 talks about the jumpers. They control the level of stepping/microstepping (and by default the stock setup is A4988 driver chips and 1/16th microstepping).

The flopping is irrelevant in the threaded rods because of the way they work mechanically the bearings/nuts translate the turns into vertical motion and side-to-side is not translated (unless they are really, really badly deformed). As long as your smooth rods are firmly in place you are good

Geof likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If there is an error compiling don't forget to link to the fpos variable change. I would do it but I am just passing through today.

4. joea

joea Active Member

No idea what you mean by that. What is "fpos" variable? I did not see any errors reported when compiling or uploading.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is an entry on that in the FAQ post if you are curious.

6. joea

joea Active Member

Gents, you mavens are being a bit too cryptic for ease of my understanding. While it is unreasonable for me to expect spoon fed mashed peas, a bit more context would be helpful.

I've looked over the FAQ and found it useful in many ways. But, searching for "fpos" and while getting some hits (two my own thread), nothing seemed to define what it is and what the value should be.

I searched configuration.h file for "fpos" and turned up nothing. So, I am at a loss.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

" You MAY get an actual ERROR like the following:

exit status 1using typedef-name 'fpos_t' after 'struct'

This is due to a change in the more recent arduino compilers older versions of the arduino compiler may not generate this error. It can be fixed by downloading the attached SDBASE.ZIP and extracting the two file source files included into the directory where you extracted the others and overwrite the two existing ones.

Once you have done that you should be able to compile OK (you will still get warnings, but no errors)."

That is the error that @WheresWaldo was referring to. If you did NOT encounter it, then no worries.

That is a cut-n-paste from the FAQ :)

P.S. the forum search is (to put it plainly) buttocks. I use Google to explicitly search the forum when I must. Like this:

site: community.robo3d.com text I want to find in posts

#27 mark tomlinson, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Geof likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a struct defined in the SDBase files used by Marlin firmware. There is no "value" for it, it is a chunk of code.
    If you are curious, download the zip I attached to that thread (SDBASE.ZIP) and review that code to find the variable "fpos_t" and how it is used. (to be clear it is NOT in configuration.h since it is not a thing users were expected to interact with or change)

#28 mark tomlinson, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Fpos is an error the arduino program newer than a certain level throws with the very old Robo firmware. It looks like you took care of that by downloading the older arduino version.