1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Bed Leveling Issue or Print Warping?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TransBat, Nov 13, 2017.

1. TransBat

TransBat Member

I will definitely keep you all in the loop - many thanks to everyone who's chimed in with their suggestions/support :D

I took a quick look remotely at the print, and sometime in the last 30 minutes, the whole print surface shifted/offset itself about 1-2 inches towards the rear of the machine, leaving the back edge of the print hanging in the air :(

The base portion of the print is still attached to the bed - so I have no idea what would cause that kind of shift. I'll upload pictures later will attempt to try again tonight/tomorrow morning with the heated bed temp of 50c + purple glue stick.

2. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Guys, I used to see that zig zag when the hotend was too far away from the bed. It is literally falling onto the bed from mid air, and wiggling onto the bed. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

As an aside, I find that the area in red on my version 2 of the bed plate is always a bit higher than the center part. But if I adjust the zoffset to work there, it’s too high in the middle. So I kind of compromise, realizing it’s a consumer grade printer.

[​IMG]

Here is one without the red color - hopefully able to be zoomed in

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. TransBat

TransBat Member

Definitely appreciate the heads up @supercazzola

I'm going to run the Spiral Level test a few more times and make a few manual adjustments on the back left corner (as you face the machine), and a tiny bit more adjustments on the right side. Once that's dialed in, I'll raise my z-offset a bit more (bring the bed closer to the extruder) and provide an update.

I also added images to that photo gallery linked from the first page - to show part way through the print, it's as if the R2 lost it's initial starting point, and decided to manually shift everything perfect a couple inches towards the rear of the device/bed.

While some of the corners are obscured from the stringy messy after the print shifted, this print definitely had less warping at the corners - progress has been made today, and it definitely feels good :cool:

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@supercazzola shim the "good side" of the bed until its the same as the high side, relevel and happy printing :D (it really is that easy :D)

6. TransBat

TransBat Member

Updated the Google Photo Album (sorry if this method of sharing is annoying):
    • Pics of weird shift part way through yesterday's print - no idea what would cause it
    • Fine tuned z-offset from -7.15 to -7.12 (lines show improvement)
    • Ran new Spiral Bed Level Test - might need to adjust/raise back right corner (as facing the printer) a bit more
    • Bed covered in glorious purple glue stick
    Current print settings:
    • z-offset: -7.12
    • Bed: 50c
    • Extruder/Hot End: 210c
    We're about one hour in, and the webcam view looks good thus far (knocks on wood) ;)

Side note - totally jealous of a friend who uses a friend who has a Prusa i3 mk2s at work who just sets up his printer, it auto levels, and hasn't had any of these issues with leveling/adherence on his PEI bed (no glue/or anything) :rolleyes:

On the plus side, for smaller projects where we've compared the prints from his machine and my C2/R2 - they've both looked equally good :cool:

#26 TransBat, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. TransBat

TransBat Member

I awoke this morning to a beautiful sight: a completed print job that looks like it adhered nicely on all 4 corners :D

New photos are in the gallery.

Sadly, it adhered a bit too well...I am unable to remove it from the plate :oops: I am unsure if I applied too much purple glue stick, or if I should try warming the bed up a bit. Any guidance would be appreciated, as I can't even get the supplied thin flat spatula from the R2 to lift up a corner at the moment, and I'd prefer not to damage the bed or hands if I can help it.

8. TransBat

TransBat Member

I did manage to finally get a corner of the print lifted with a combination of the C2/R2 spatulas, and successfully removed it from the bed after about 5 minutes of gently maneuvering them around the print. Only nicked the back corner a tiny bit in doing so :rolleyes:

I'm guessing I was a bit too vigilant about applying glue stick, or should have promptly removed the print once its finished. Since I'm definitely new to this whole glue stick process, could anyone provide some guidance on proper removal and application of the glue stick?

And for the remaining bit of glue residue on the print, what's the safest way to remove it, warm water perhaps?

Thank you ALL for your help and guidance - I am truly thrilled to see how well this print turned out. I believe with a bit more z-offset tuning, and a little more manual circle level tinkering, I might be starting to get the hang of this whole 3D printing experience :D

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey ! Thats a good thing though! thats half the battle! lol. To remove you can do afew different things. One is get some "warm" water and run along the sides of your print to wash away some blue. The other is to use that heavy handle on the scraper and tap the part. Typically the tapping motions on all sides will break it loose. I have a build tak spatula for such headache :D.

Once thats done increase your z offest a bit (just a bit) so it doesn't stick as aggressively (or use less glue stick) lol.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I use water and a rag or windex :D (doens't have to be name brand its just what I've got in the shop)

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is frankly the best part of the entire industry. All the work towards repeatable successful prints :D

12. TransBat

TransBat Member

I'm still trying to get my orientation correct about z-offset adjustments - increasing my z-offset would bring the bed a little further from the extruder? You'd think I'd have that figured out by nowo_O