1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Bed Temp

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lytmup, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Lytmup

Lytmup New Member

Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass this and get the bed up to 100 degrees? It looks like the max temp is 80 degrees.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Edit the firmware and change it there then reload it I imagine. This is where it is set in the other models, although I have NOT looked specifically at the R2 version (the C2 I have looked at and I doubt they are wildly different). You MIGHT be able to override it in the EEPROM via the LCD if you want to look at it first. I can't remember if that is a value you can change there and I am not at the printer right now.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is the R2 Rated to go to 100C? I dont have one so cant look at the set up, but there may be a reason their shutting it off at 80?

4. Lytmup

Lytmup New Member

Dude!! You are awesome! Right under the EEPROM you can change the PID settings!! Going to test now!

5. Lytmup

Lytmup New Member

Also is this a firmware I can find on the site?

6. Lytmup

Lytmup New Member

I got a little ahead of myself with the PID settings. Not able to get what I want. I did talk with tech support and they said that the engineers are looking to make a change to this.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. Lytmup

Lytmup New Member

Under Options, EEPROM, Advanced Variables you can change the settings for B to 30,000 and get it up to 90 degrees.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That might be enough depending on what you are printing. With the R1 series ABS would require as much as you could get (I routinely printed it at 110c on the bed). Most other filament types are fine with 90c or less. PolyCarbonate being the only real exception that comes to mind.

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

try it on buildtak at 80 or 90 :D works great.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. Lytmup

Lytmup New Member

I will try that! The proximity sensor won't have an issue with the autoleveling? or is this an optical type of thing?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The bed leveling sensor is optical.
    (IR to be exact)

13. Lytmup

Lytmup New Member

It worked 1 time and I was able to get a good ABS print out of it. However now it won't get past 81 degrees. :(

14. Lytmup

Lytmup New Member

Hey Mark,
    Is there a way to use Arduino IDE to upload the firmware? The Hex file that is there did not help.

15. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

So from what I gather from this thread, there's no built-in way to use the slicer to set the printer bed's temperature? That seems like a huge oversight for anyone that wants to play with different materials... One temp does not fit all :(

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The slicer on board the RaspberryPi has preset configurations and those set temps within their preset parameters, if you want to experiment with different materials you will either have to add new presets to OctoPrint (all based on Cura 1.15.6 or older) or slice them on a PC/Mac and only feed your printer sliced models (G-code). Dropping an .STL file on your printer and having it do all the work is more marketing checkbox than actually useful.

Geof likes this.
  17. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Right, but if you do the slicing yourself on your PC/Mac and set the bed temperature in your slicer, does the R2 honour that once you give it the G-code?

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

19. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Oh, I've been completely misunderstanding this thread, then. Thanks for the explanation! :)

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@sgomes there is a lot of confusion, personally I don't want the printer to dictate to me the temps used but it works like this, if Octoprint (as part of RoboOS) sets the bed or hotend temp, it is one of the first things that are done, SO for example if Robo decided that the bed should be preheated to 45° C and the hotend to 180° C then when you start a print they will first move to those temps. Depending on the actual code used it will set and move on or it will set and wait until the temp is reached. Then if you have not stripped your slicer clean of start up code it will set whatever the material temps are based on it's setup. Just the way it is. If you drag and drop an STL on OctoPrint and let it slice the temps in it's profile will be used.

The sliced code is the last executed and it will be what it is printed at. They are two separate parts of the same whole process.

Personal opinion = The only reason I would want OctoPrint (RoboOS) to control temperature by itself is 1. if I wanted some pre-heating, or 2. I had so many printers I could dedicate one to a single specific material. Not all of use are @Geof

Geof likes this.