1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2/C2 Linear Rail Bracket Ends

Discussion in 'Projects' started by WheresWaldo, Sep 30, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would agree that the software/firmware is indeed open source, but not the hardware. At least not completely (and it has not been for some time). The forum has done a lot to fix that :)

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am not even 100% on the Software is Open Source, yes some of it comes from OSS repositories, but certain parts of their code were never released, like RoboLCD. Or how they actually put RoboOS together in the first place. Also using their own forks instead of mainline code with restrictions built in to force you back to their own repositories if you try to use mainline code, not very open source if you ask me.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, some of the OS side software is indeed questionable.
    As for firmware since they have changed nothing of consequence I can't fault them too hard for not doing a commit back, but maybe the offered and Scott L. declined. Totally a black box since they don't communicate much :)
    At least they had some (or most of it if you ignore the LCD stuff) in GitHub repositories.