1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 can't see Ubiquiti WiFi network

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MWDK, Aug 18, 2018.

1. MWDK

MWDK New Member

Anyone else had this problem?
    The R2 can see my the network in my ISP router if i turn it on - but it can't see the network of my Ubiquiti wifi network - both 2.4 and 5ghz is active and can be seen by all other products on the network - but my R2 can't :)

Any ideas? Range on my Ubiquiti is far better than the built in ISP routers so its not a question about range.

Thanks guys!

/marc

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The rPi only has 2.4GHz so the UniFi network will only see it on that band. The other thing is that you may need to add it to the UniFi Controller manually by MAC address if it can't see it. I don't remember if I had to do that with mine or not, it was a while ago. I do remember my managed 16 port switch having to be added manually because it was a Netgear and not a UniFi switch and my gateway just wouldn't see it until I did. UniFi while I believe it is some of the best consumer oriented enterprise-like hardware does have an occasional quirk.

3. MWDK

MWDK New Member

It has been online in the Unifi dashboard a long time ago, but now completely gone. So MAC is added :(
    Is the RPI only capable of using specific 2.4GHz channels or such?
    I have been using cable for the printer but moved it now and now cant use it because it cant see the wifi network.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, the Pi can use any of the channels.
    Not really familiar with Unifi/Ubiquiti wifi network, but I see a lot out there about installing software for it on the rPi.
    You can do that if you need to... use Putty or VNC to access the Pi in the printer and install whatever you need on there.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would perform the following steps

1. Remove the microSD from the rPI and place it into a PC
    2. Use something like Win32DiskImager to make a backup image of the microSD
    3. Replace the microSD into the printer
    4. In the RoboOS menu check the settings for WiFi, I do not recall what those look like because I never use WiFi on my R2.
    5. Reset the settings for WiFi, making sure there isn't some bogus information in any of the fields.
    6. Restart the printer.
    You won't be able to "Putty" into the printer because it isn't on your network, you can rectify that temporarily by connecting wired to a switch or other PC and making sure you specify a static IP address on the same subnet.