1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Stops Randomly Mid Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CarAudioFab, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I wonder if a forum could be created? Maybe one where the community supports eachother where possible? and the information can be supplied in a thread there? ...maybe one day ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson is a bit of a wizard :D spent a few years with the dark arts back in the early 90s me thinks ;)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those links were posted here at some point, but the forum search is a joke (in really bad taste at that).
    You used to be able to get google to search it for you, but something changed recently to break that as well.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

now, now, don't go casting aspersions. We have not touched the "dark side" since the mid-80's (no proof.. none at all)

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I like to think of the search option as more of a time to reflect :D Like when you randomly want to read stuff not related to what your searching for...like toilet books ya know!

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ah...time warp, nuff said lol ;)

7. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

done

9. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

Thanks, so quick questions about this web interface: Is the computer sending all the gcode? Or does loading the gcode to the R2 store it on the machine? I guess my question is let's say I start a print via web interface. If my wifi goes out does the printer keep doing its thing or crash?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That instance of OctoPrint is running on the Raspberry Pi and once you upload the Gcode to it, then there is no 'PC' in the picture. The Raspberry Pi in the printer is running the show. You never need to have a computer attached with that interface, all done with a web browser.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You slice the print with whatever you like, save the GCode to a file, upload it to OctoPrint and away you go.

12. Michael_ROBO

Michael_ROBO New Member

@CarAudioFab

I can't post links yet. But theres documentation on the help.robo3d website under Robo WebDashboard for downloading octoprint logs.

Geof likes this.
  13. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

Well to follow up I can confirm the robo is completely rebooting itself mid print. The gcode log just stopped mid normal coordinate command. I caught this on camera, watch the footage, the screen on the robo just goes black, does its boot up sequence and that's it. Dead mid print.

I've tried shaking the machine to detect a potential loose connection. It stays on... Any ideas?

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is a fan in the bottom portion of the R2, is it running. That almost sounds like something it reaching a thermal cutoff and then rebooting. Although the rPi should thermally throttle first before a reboot.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

look at the pi when it reboots and see if the pi is on and then off or just the main board ? I had issues with mine doing the same thing (and took forever to finally catch it doing it) what it ended up being was the power cable for the Pi. With the machine on give it a wiggle and see if the machine reboots.
    If yes, parts request. If you cant be down I found an old phone charger, stripped the cable and used red and black (you'll need to find power and ground on yours, likely the same) and spliced the old connector onto it so I could cleanly plug it into the board. I suggest soldering but if your not experienced at it you could always use crimp ferrels, just make sure its got good connection!
    If no you'll need to watch the machine and see whats forcing a reboot which stinks but the best way. You can go through the logs in octoprint and try to find the error but I find it easier to watch as part of the troubleshooting (learn more that way)

16. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

Fan is working, I don't believe this is it. Pi is always flashing red and green on the indicator light. Is that normal?

17. CarAudioFab

CarAudioFab Member

Next time I run a print I'll have a camera on the boards under the access door. We'll see what shuts off first. I suspect it's the same cable for me as I had to jostle it when I first got the machine to get the pi to power up. Did you find it was the USB end that was messed up or the end that connects to the robo board?

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yes it is normal for the rPi to blink in such a manner.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I tried taking a picture -- not so easy :) All red is bad, red and green OK

20. Docdead

Docdead New Member

I'm suffering basically the same issue. I've been printing on my R2 for months now and suddenly it keeps failing part way through a print. It just stops mid print and stays at the location it died and the temp turns off. I have seen the touchscreen reboot once when this happened. I also believe that the board is rebooting, so I will be checking to see if I can catch what is going on. I did access my logs and the only thing that is standing out at the moment is a repeating error:
    tornado.access - WARNING - 409 GET /api/printer (127.0.0.1)
    Otherwise, I haven't seen anything to suggest what is happening.