1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Stuck after reflashing SD card

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Braxton Piwonka, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Braxton Piwonka

Braxton Piwonka New Member

Hey guys, sorry to add onto this & also if what I’m looking for is somewhere else in the forum.. if it I missed it, it’s not from lack of searching!

Robo sent me a customized .img file to reflash the Pi & I followed the steps diligently, using etcher to flash it onto my sd card, put it in & powered my R2 up.. it’s been stuck on the ‘Robo is updating’ screen for about 9 hours now. Is it supposed to take this long to reflash?

I read a bit about the ACT LED on the Pi indicating issues & watched it, but I’ve gotten all kinds of blink variations between long gaps of darkness, from 1 blink, to 10 & 11 blinks & one time 21! I’m at a total loss here & would appreciate someone’s help! Thanks in advance!

Btw, if this needs to be moved to another thread, feel free.. it was just decently current & dealt with the reflash, so I went for it

2. Braxton Piwonka

Oh.. & this is the second new sd card I’ve attempted it on..

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Quite likely a bad re-imaging of the SD card.
    Start over (with a new card if you can) format it, then flash the image on it
    If that still fails then perhaps the image itself is suspect, I have seen your symptoms though with just a bad burn of the image.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then as I said, probably a bad image. If you have an original one that works, clone it yourself and make sure the clone works and that will prove it is the image itself.

5. Braxton Piwonka

I’m afraid I don’t have the original:/ Straight up noob move, I now realize! I was sure to copy a version of the new one Robo sent me this time.. & it’s of course likely no good! lol Is it possible to get an older version of yours or something? I’ve read about the renaming & what not. Thank you very much for your help

6. Braxton Piwonka

Do you have any idea how long the reflash typically takes? Even a rough estimate?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For which card and size? 30Mb/sec sandisk Ultra cards write at a top format speed of 25Mb/sec using the win32 disk imager.
    (so as an example a 16gb card might take 10 minutes) Too many variables unsaid :)

8. Braxton Piwonka

Oh, but not hours?! Then I’m out of luck,, because I loaded robots new image on a brand new sd & it’s been stuck for over an hour again

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then it is the card reader/writer or the SD card itself.

You could try a different software for it (although Win32DiskImager is usually good) in case something is screwy with that software. Try burning it with Etcher

10. Braxton Piwonka

Etcher is the one I’ve been using because it was directly referred by the Robo tech that gave me the image:/

I came across a thread about something shorting out on a guys Rpi causing something like this & him testing the voltage on sole prongs on the board... I can’t seem to find it anymore. This something you’re maybe familiar with?! I really appreciate all your input

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

About the only thing I could see involving the RPi (short of it just being defective) is the LCD jumper getting placed on the incorrect pins on the I/O header for the Pi. If that were the case then it would never work. Ever.

If you have a bad image on the SD card or if it get corrupted then just like a bad hard disk in a PC you are going nowhere. The Pi can't boot and run without an OS image (which is by default on the SD card)

If you are really interested in learning what the LEDs tell you look over here:

https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2013/02/raspberry-pi-status-leds-explained/