1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Raft first layer vs non-raft first layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Caleb Cangelosi, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caleb Cangelosi

I am frustrated by the fact that I have to print with a raft most times, even on prints that have a flat bottom, like a box. When I do a raft, the first layer is thick, big, and adheres so well. When I don't do a raft, the first layer is thin, and is easily hit and moved by the extruder as it makes its passes - so inevitably I have to cancel the print and start over. (I'm using hairspray, and it's exactly the same amount in both cases.) Even the thickness of the skirt loops is different when I do a raft vs. when I don't do a raft. Is there a setting I can change in S3D so that when I don't do a raft, the first layer goes down as thick and adhesive as when I do a raft? I'm tired of wasting filament (and money!) on rafts that should be unnecessary. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

First layer height would be my suggestion.
    That is one of the settings the slicer adjusts when doing a raft.

However, none of us here are as expert on Simplif3D as the people who wrote it so --- you might want to open a support ticket with them :)

Only times I use a raft with S3D is when I have a model that extends over the base and requires small pillar supports that are scattered over the bed. That insures that the small pillars stay stuck... sometimes they come loose from the glass otherwise

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also check how many top and bottom layers you have defined.
    More is generally better ... I use at least 5 on most prints.

Caleb Cangelosi likes this.
  4. Caleb Cangelosi

Thanks, Mark. Do you have any idea what the slicer adjusts it to when it does a raft? It seems a lot bigger than without a raft. I guess I should ask that on S3D too! ;)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, they specific tweaks a slicer makes for that are slicer specific, but things like first layer height are common ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.