1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Random extrusion during print R1+

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by William R Hardin, Apr 23, 2017.

1. William R Hardin

William R Hardin New Member

Ok, I have the Robo3D R1+ and am now using Matter Control for prints.

Problem, while printing the extruder stepper turns on and off causing holes in my parts and poor surface finish. I recently replaced the stepper driver on the Ramps board because the original driver went bad. The extruder will extrude filament for a few seconds and then it will stop for a few seconds and then start and stop over and over during the print.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bad driver, bad stepper, something else entirely ... :)
    Too little data to say.

Lets rule everything out.

What type of filament?
    Did you calibrate the extruder?

3. William R Hardin

Thank you for responding.

I don't really understand everything you talked about in your video but before my extruder driver went bad I was getting great print results. I do have a small hobby cnc mill so I do know what skipping steps can cause on my mill. This doesn't appear to be that type of thing unless it is skipping thousands of steps at a time.

I thought possibly the stepper driver it might be getting shutting off and then when it cools down it starts again. I did turn the voltage up from 300mv to 400mv to see if that would make a difference but the result was the same.

4. William R Hardin

To answer your questions, no I have not calibrated the extruder and I am using HATCHBOX 3D PLA-1KG1.75-BLK PLA.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Season the hotend to make sure it is not just PLA microclogs causing the issue
    and calibrate the extruder. The Robo default numbers are crap.

They use an eSteps of 748 when in reality it will be closer to 800

So right out of the box it is under extruding.

6. William R Hardin

I cleaned and seasoned the extruder, measured the filament diameter and all that is good. I did not calibrate the extruder because the printer is degrading to the point that I don't think that would solve anything right now. I did change the estep from 728 to 800. At present the x and y steppers are acting very erratic to and moving a lot slower than normal.

At this point I give up. I've been working and talking with Robo 3D tech support. The store doesn't stock any parts, so it's time to scrap this for parts and find a printer that has a store with parts and support. I put in an order for an R2 but it looks like that won't be available untill late June or early July so I will have to cancel that order because I have a job I need to do now.

Thanks for your help, I have to start researching printers now.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is only one part of the Robo that is not a generically available part and even then you can swap it fairly easy.
    Detail what parts you are looking for specifically. They are a lot cheaper generically too :)

8. William R Hardin

Been there done that with no luck. I bought a generic Ramps board didn't work. Bought new stepper motors (try finding one that has a shaft like the one for the extruder) didn't work. Tried reflashing the Arduino 2 times. Buzzed out the cables. I'm 69 years old and life is too short to spend money on parts that don't fix the problem and the aggravation is more then I care to deal with. I may buy a new Arduino just because I might use it on some other project if it doesn't work.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I went through 3 to get one that worked as detailed in another thread. They are cheap and built that way.
    A good seller will return your money
    Mine did.

I bought a box of 5 all of which would have fit the extruder :) roughly $10 a pop

Ultimately the R1+ is assembled from commodity parts and therein lies the rub.
    It is less a crappy machine than one made from cheaper/less consistent parts
    The advantage is of course that they are easy to repair on your own.

The other printers out there are not very different (unless you spend more) often they use Chinese made clone boards to emulate a manufacturer specific one. All of the cheaper kits are this way. Reliability is going to be as just as much of a mixed bag

This is the marked difference with the C2/R2 in that Robo no longer uses totally generic parts. They are using their own branded versions of a more generic board, but presumably that way they can control quality a bit.

There are some vendors out there (like monoprice--when they have stock) that are going to give you a working product and a decent warranty if build area or other specs are not your concern.

Good luck :)

10. William R Hardin

So where did you buy 5 steppers at $10.00 a pop that would fit the extruder? I did a search for the one I have and couldn't find that stepper? I had to file down the shaft on one of the steppers I bought to fit the gear for the extruder but all it did was sit there and chatter without moving (couldn't print out my own gear for the new stepper because my printer doesn't work). The problems with them going to their own proprietary parts is they don't keep stock for what you really need in their online store. I'm looking into getting a Pursa i3 MK2 right now but they are on back order also and wouldn't be delivered any sooner than the Robo R2. With these companies you can never rely on delivery dates because everything is made in China.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Amazon. On my unit the steppers are all identical too :)
    There is nothing unique about the stepper on the extruder.
    Those are standard GT2 gears as well you could have just gotten a new gear to fit that shaft if that was the difference*.

Yes, that is the standard these days given how competitive the market is at this price point.

The real Prusa is a fine machine though.

If the R2 is of the same quality as the C2 then it will be a fine machine as well. They did bump the construction quality a good notch with the newer ones. I love the steel sub-frame and the way everything is assembled (a bit more of a problem to work on, but still doable)

edit: swapping to non-stock parts is a little more of a challenge, but will not be impossible.
    *OK, that may be the first injection molded gear on the GregsWade now that I think about it. Odd that they would have used a funky size there. We can print you one with a standard shaft size if you like.
    I have printed and used entire GregsWade units for other printers. Worst case if the gear size changed ANY would be you fix it by calibration of the extruder anyway :)

#11 mark tomlinson, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  12. William R Hardin

Mark, you are wrong. My stepper motor shaft for the extruder has a double flat on it and the new stepper I got had a single flat and untill I filed down another flat it would not work. It is possible I guess the the new stepper had a little smaller shaft diameter but it sure wasn't obvious. If I decide to go in there again I will check it with a micrometer. Not just any stepper will work, and you still didn't tell me what stepper would.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I assure you all of mine are the exact same stepper on both machines :)
    I have had them apart enough.

Now does that mean yours are? No. Robo is nothing if not inconsistent.

These worked for me, but they may not for YOU since you have the one with the odd shaft.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QEXSCE8

Bear in mind that we can reprint the gear to fit whatever diameter shaft you have or replace it with a standard GT2 one.

@Geof can check his R1+ and see if it suffers from the same issue.

14. William R Hardin

Another thing is the website says the R2 ships end of April and then after you place your order and put up $1600.00 plus then you find out it won't ship for 2 more months. They don't seem to want to update their site to tell you that the availability for those shipping at the end of April are already sold and not available for new orders.

Don't start thinking that I am afraid to fix my printer. I've been working on it everyday for 2 weeks because I need it for a project I'm working on. The problem is that every day it seems to getting worse. It's not only the extruder now but the x and y axis don't seem to be working properly either. The replacement boards are cheap so the money spent is not the problem. How many times do I have to purchase the same thing over and over to find out if I'm even buying the right board to fix the problem.

I am a Cad designer, machinist, and an electronics tech but retired. All I have is a DVM and a soldering iron for electronics. I could make my own gear on my CNC Taig mill to fit the steppers I got but the steppers I got don't work so that would be a waist of my time. I changed around the pin cinfiguration for the stepper to get it work on the new steppers be couldn't get them to work.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I haven't had any issues with replacement steppers not working.
    Heck I have gone through a couple of 5-packs and they all worked as advertised.
    The stepper drivers are (IMHO) the weak link as those tend to die eventually.
    The RAMPS itself is less frequently a problem, but as I have learned if you buy the cheaper ones to use as replacements... you might run across defective new ones.

16. William R Hardin

Thanks for the link. I purchased the motors now what Arduino and Ramps board would you suggest? I would like to replace all of it because I think the Arduino may be part of the problem.

I'd also like to know what you need from me to print a gear for the new steppers.

#16 William R Hardin, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, they are always slow to update the web site -- even for available spare parts you can buy. Always call in that case.
    As for the R2, since they went through kickstarter to get rolling that is apparently the main method they are using to keep people up-to-date on the release. Can't say -- was not involved.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I usually suggest the SainSmart kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECV62P0

There are cheaper versions out there:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MZ8RYI

But I went with SainSmart and on their kits -- no problems.

I later bought individual cards from places:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H4ZLZLQ
    https://www.amazon.com/Printer-Controller-Arduino-Atomic-Market/dp/B01BHCD5K6

and when I had the defective RAMPS I just returned them for a refund (Amazon Prime makes refunds a breeze)
    Just be aware that this is not an unusual thing (defective RAMPS out of the box)

19. William R Hardin

OK, I ordered the SainSmart kit, stepper motors, and 5 more Ramp Drivers (just in case). I am still going to buy a new printer, I could use a 2nd one anyway. I have both the Pursa and the R2 ordered, now I have to figure out which one to cancel. I like the idea that the R2 is fully inclosed, has a built in camera, has the server built in, and has the capability to add the 2nd extruder. I like that the Pursa is cheap, great heat bed, quiet mode, Multi-color add on kit, E3d extruder, and it looks like it would be easy to work on. I'm leaning towards the Pursa.

Thanks for your help Mark, I will keep you posted on how things go.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Trust me, they breed like bunnies :)