1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Random extrusion during print R1+

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by William R Hardin, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good!
    Just be advised that those steppers have the single flat on the shaft, but like I said we can print you a cog if you don't want to fiddle with grinding it. Odd that they changed this* since it does mean they need a custom part for that stepper...

*mostly sarcasm... mostly.

2. William R Hardin

William R Hardin New Member

I would very much appreciate it if you could get me a cog for that new stepper. Just let me know what you need from me.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can print one and mail it to you. Heck I may have one spare already. Send me a PM with your address.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Assuming that picture I sent you looks correct I will shoot that box out tomorrow.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

sorry I'm late to the party. I didn't get a tag notification! :D.

All my and all the ones I've worked on (r1+ models) the Z motors are integrated lead screws but the x, y, and e are all exactly the same motors. (I have both Robo spares and generic spares of these steppers, 12 qty, and all of them are the same as well)

6. William R Hardin

I haven't pulled out a Z axis motor yet, but are you saying they are something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Screw-Stepper-Printer-RepRap/dp/B00JTSEFQY

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

pretty much yes. The 2 z motors in the R1+ have the leadscrews built into them. You cannot use those motors elsewhere and you cannot use XYE motors in their place (unless you go through a leadscrew mod)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. William R Hardin

I thought it looked like there was something different about them but I didn't have a problem with them other than a problem with the end stops. I thought it was odd that I didn't see a coupler when I was measuring to set up the end stops. Do you know what the thread pitch is for the z screw?

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

not off hand. its a 8mm leadscrew but never had to worry about the pitch since the R1+ comes with the integrated lead screw it doesn't require the upgrade to get rid of Z Banding like the R1 models did.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. William R Hardin

That's ok, there are plenty of ways to measure that.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The integrated Steppers Robo uses are TR8*4 integrated lead screws.

#32 WheresWaldo, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  13. William R Hardin

Today I decided to do a little more testing. I removed the extruder stepper motor from it's mount so I could test it free running without it pushing against anything. To my surprise when I the stepper to run for 100 mm it worked great. Then I tried it again and I decided to see if I could grab hold of the pulley and stop it, to my surprise I barely had to use any force at all to stop it. Is that normal, I assumed it would have more torque and be somewhat hard to stop?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It depends on how much current the stepper driver is putting out.
    The torque the stepper will provide is directly related to the amount of drive current.

15. William R Hardin

It is possible when I shut it down the previous time I left the driver at a low voltage because I was trying to adjust it to see if I could get the new stepper motor to work. I'll check that today.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. William R Hardin

Well, I am happy to say my printer is working again. I'm a little embarrassed about what was really the problem. It turns out that with all the swapping around of parts the drivers got swapped around to different places causing problems with all the stepper motors. After tuning the drivers everything was working except the extruder. After staring at the computer screen and going over the settings for printing I realized I had the extruder hot end temperature set at 180 deg. I set the temp to 210 deg and low and behold the extruder hot end is pumping out filament with no problems.

Looks like the stepper motor just couldn't push the filament through at 180 deg and it still feels like the torque on that motor is a little low. I have the driver set at 500 mv right now and it doesn't skip a beat so I think it's good enough to get the job done.

Funny thing, I had to replace the extruder driver and that's all, everything else is the same as what I started with but I got a lot of new parts if I need them later on.

I'm back on line and the prints look great.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.