1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Raspberry Pi 3/OctoPi/WLAN

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by WZ9V, Apr 17, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 (no external WLAN needed) , 16GB SD Card, and the RaspiCam.

I printed this case, installed the cameras ribbon cable, and attached it to the Robo.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:939525

I downloaded this image (this is not the latest but was reported as working)
    https://storage.googleapis.com/octoprint/2016-04-08_2016-03-18-octopi-jessie-lite-0.13.0.zip

Follow the instructions for creating an image to transfer the downloaded image to a bootable SD Card for the RPi.

You can skip the following step if using an ethernet connection.

After the image is written, go to the boot partition, edit octopi-network.txt to enable the WLAN, set the SSID, and password.

Eject the SD Card, place it in the RPi, and then power up.

When the RPi finishes booting, use "ssh pi@octopi.local" and run sudo raspi-config.
    (Note: If using Winblows you either need to install Bonjour or figure out the assigned IP and do
    "ssh pi@<ip address>")

In raspi-config, resize the SD Card partition to reclaim the extra space and enable the camera.

Reboot the RPi

Once the RPi has booted

OctoPrint is on octopi.local
    To test camera octopi.local:8080
    (Note: If using Winblows substitute IP address from above for octopi.local)

Now just follow the OctoPrint instructions to set up the rest.

Enjoy!

PS: Whenever a stable Jessie comes out I'd recommend updating to that rather than sticking with the specific nightly identified above. I've only tested the very basic functions for now. Remember to do proper shutdowns to prevent corrupting the SD Card "shutdown -h now". This can be added to the Octoprint menus under settings.

Pete Peterson and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. Paul M

Paul M New Member

@WZ9V Which Camera did you end up ordering? All the Raspberry PI cameras i looked at mentioned working with older versions of the PI but didn't see anything about PI 3, so i didn't order it.

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'm using the RaspiCam, it plugs into the special camera connector and works fine one the 3.

4. Paul M

Paul M New Member

@WZ9V Thanks for the Info.. Just ordered the Raspberry add-on camera.

5. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

As an update, it seems the 0.13 image has officially moved to stable. Once I get things going again I'll update to that but first I have to fix my broken bed glass.