1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ready to throw this thing out

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by rbrock, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2. rbrock

rbrock Member

Cool, I already bought 3 of them, I was going to put them on the 2 fans and the extruder. I didn't have a chance to do Amp readings on them to size the fuse properly. But if you say all leads on the ramps already has polyfuses then I just need the one.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah anything on the ramps board is polyfused. The fan draws less than an amp and the PSU maxes out at 20A. A 15A fuse would be sufficient to protect the power supply from shorting.

4. rbrock

rbrock Member

can't print anything with detail or small parts.

Trying to print gift tags for presents, the tag part prints fine but the embossed letters it fails... it's like the nozzle gets plugged up with all the retractions.

I also tried to print an ornement and it fails as there is a lot of detail in it and after 10 layers it stops extruding / clogs up.

I changed the nozzle no help, checked the hobbed, it's clean (it's also the "recommended upgrade one")... still failing...

I'm printing folor fabb at 205 with a bed of 60.

I have tried printing faster and slower... not sure what to do.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

6. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

10 degree Celsius plus made for me the difference for the PLA I print.
    Have also a new hobbed bolt, but had in the beginning many extruding problems. Print now PLA at 215-217 Degree celsius with the e3d v6 hotend and printing speeds from 1200mm/min - 2400mm/min @ 0,2 mm - 0,3mm layer hight. Hobbed bolt now even after dozens prints very clean and small parts/letters in good quality. Not a single failed print since weeks..

7. rbrock

rbrock Member

Upped my temp still not working, already have an oiler on the system.

2 prints work, 10 fail, 1 works, 3 fail... I dare not print anything more that 1 hr long... I hate this thing.

It is so NOT consistent... if it would fail the same way every time fine but it's always different... stops extruding, doesn't set up properly, comes off the heated platform...

I'm ready to offer a reward, print 10 things on this printer all different and have them all actually print! $500

Is that what it costs to get it working??

I really hate this thing!

8. rbrock

rbrock Member

I give up, it's up for sale.

I can't deal with this thing.

Support from RoBo3D has been a joke as well... 3 weeks with them and still haven't resolved anything with them either.

9. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

There are many many variables for a bad or good print - one is the hardware, one the software, the Fileament, Settings, etc., etc., and the final is your skill, experiance and final knowledge;-) 3D printing is only partly a digital process - most of it is analog and error friendly;-) I had in the start up period many problems with my 2nd hand 2013 version Robo 3D purchase.

Hardware wise I exchanged the heated print bed to the newest version, including the autolevel function.
    The hobbed bolt.
    And the broken stock hot end to the E3D V6 PTFE-Tube Hotend.

Software wise I slice now all jobs with Simplify3D and send the Gcode Files to my Raspberry PI with Octoprint and start the print jobs via Octoprint.

It took me a lot of efforts and time to get the Robo3D running (and to learn) - and my background over 18 years was engineer for industrial electronics in the printing industry for high tech imaging devices, scanners and digital printing presses (presstek.com).!!

If you want a 3D printer, more or less printing perfectly from the scratch, you have to invest a little bit more (>$2.500,-)
    If you want to become perfect in 3 printing and all related processes, you keep the Robo and get him running.... It´s definetely possible... see my prints...

Best regards,

Matthias

10. rbrock

rbrock Member

If you had read this thread I have done ALL the recommendations (new hot end, adjust pots, simplify3d, m8 rods, print from display....). Went from e3d v5 to e3dv6 hot end. Rewired the thing

I had it printing quite well for about 2 weeks, then it caught on fire... I rebuilt it and can't get it to print anywhere near what it was during that 2 week honeymoon period.

I have spent over $1000 on spare parts and upgrades and at least 200+ hrs rebuilding / fiddling around with the unit and still won't print.

I also have a diploma in computer electronics, I have a CCNA, NCSE, MCSE, I have welding certificates in TIG and MIG... but this thing well... doesn't work, it isn't consistent or reliable, my last print the y axis didn't hold again and it starting printing 30% off center... why who knows, I'm not troubleshooting it any more.

I gave it enough time and money.

11. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

I fully understand your frustration! But do you really intend to let the Robo win AGAINST you??? :) Take the battle and fight! :mad:
    What I forgot to mention...

I also added the Ramps fan and

exchanged almost every linear bearing - especially the y-axis bearings failed/stocked after a couple of prints and caused off center prints...

Put the ROBO aside for some time, relax and then start again...

12. rbrock

rbrock Member

Don't even know how to respond to that, been told that three times now.

You rebuild it, come over, I'll cook you dinner.

I need something that works, this doesn't. and for the $2500 invested in it it was obviously a mistake.

13. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

USA?

Ok, you take over the flight from Germany to ? plus the dinner and the needed spare parts - I take over the time (max. one week) :)

14. rbrock

rbrock Member

Nope, just dinner... and Canada...

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only way I fixed the clogging was the oiler, but I suspect you may have already tried that.
    It was pretty much the same for me, print 10 layers then clog.
    Irritating because I had at that point been using the printer for a looong time (100% clog free).
    But when that E3D started clogging, it wouldn't quit.

16. rbrock

rbrock Member

I feel I put some real effort in to this machine. I have to gain my sanity back. I will try to put this behind me and buy something else. I did learn a lot from this... but to continue working on this and getting the same result is insanity...

Thank you for all the help.

17. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Mark, what E3D version were you using and did you ever get your printer running smoothly again, and if yes what did you do to fix it.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have the E3D v5. Most of fixing the clogs was installing the oiler, that cured it.
    That clogging started cropping up and put me out of action for weeks.
    I mean it was frustrating. Nobody else on here was having that issue that I saw and heck, even I had done a lot of prints without clogs. I think it may have coincided with me swapping the nozzle <shrug> can't be certain.
    Whatever the source was, the oiler solved it. If you haven't tried it, you should.
    The all metal hotends seem to be the most likely ones to need this type of fix.

19. Robert Choban

Rbrock, are you still working on your printer, reading about the problems you have been having does help others with there printers. So don't please don't give up. If everyone gives up then we are all screwed.

20. Robert Choban

Mark, who's oiler did you use, and have you replaced the Y axis linear bearing and if yes, what made you think they needed to be replaced

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.