1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Recovering a print?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dguisinger, Jan 8, 2016.

1. dguisinger

dguisinger New Member

Hey guys, I was 11 hours into a 15 hour print when things went wrong for me.
    I have an approximate layer number, I'm sure i could figure it out with some precision if i were to adjust the z axis and find out where it is

Here is what happened. I noticed I was starting to run out of vertical space due to the oiler above my print head. With 4 hours left, I knew there was no way it would finish.

Using OctoPrint, I hit pause, I moved Y by 120 and Z by 20 to get the print head out of the way, and I proceeded to change the filament. Changing the filament with my Robo3D is never easy, it always ends up taking a lot of force, and as would be expected, my X axis moved.

When I clicked restore print, it was probably 1cm off of where it should be and was not printing where it should have been.

So I paused again, raised the Z axis and hit Home on the X/Y.
    Everything still was looking good at this point, and I hit Resume once again.

The printer slowly started to home in on the correct restore point...
    And then a temperature alert came up saying the print head temp had dropped.
    Then OctoPrint abandoned the print and even closed down the serial port.
    I can find no way in OctoPrint to recover the damn thing.

I'm not quite sure who to point fingers at, this feels like a bug in something somewhere.
    Does the printer turn off the extruder heater when I home? Should the software pause on a temp failure and let the user decide what to do instead of destructively destroying the state of the print? (I would think so!)

Either way, now that I'm in this situation, is there a way for me to get out of this situation without throwing out an 11 hour print?

2. dguisinger

dguisinger New Member

Never mind, after running through this with tech support it appears my temperature sensor wire failed while changing filament, jiggling the wire just by moving the print head causes it to lose temp and shut the printer back down.... time for my second warranty replacement part in 2 weeks :(

3. Morichalion

Morichalion Member

I wish you luck on the repair!

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I found it easier to just cut the part in netfabb at the height remaining, then print that piece and glue the two together.