1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Repetier-Host and Robo vibrating on Y axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dbd, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbd

dbd New Member

Hey all. First off, I'm completely new to 3D printing, though I'm no stranger to 3d modeling. I received my Robo recently and I'm having a bit of trouble.

Everything seems to be configured correctly, and in Repetier-Host, I can manually move the hot end around the bed by clicking on the arrows. When I click on the home button for the X or Z axes, the extruder (is that the right terminology, or should I call it hot end?) positions itself at the left side of the bed, a paper's thickness above the bed (as it should). However, clicking on the Y Home button causes the extruder to attempt to move the bed backwards past its limits - I'm guessing this is what happens, because even after it reaches 0 on the Y axis, it's still attempting to push the bed further backwards, causing the whole entire machine to vibrate and shake with a very loud sound.

I don't quite understand this. I set the correct depth (254) of the bed's Y axis for the Robo, and minimum at 0, max at 254. So if Repetier-Host tries to position it at 0, why is it trying to push the bed past 0 into the negatives? I must be doing something incorrectly.

Hopefully this post isn't too confusing, but I can post a video if anyone needs some more info. Thanks in advance! :)

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

There is a limit switch that it hits to determine what 0 is. The screws used on the limit switches are reportedly too short on the first batch that shipped. Some people have reported having issues with the limit switches coming loose during shipping.

3. dbd

dbd New Member

Thanks for the reply! Hate to sound completely oblivious, but do you have any suggestions of what I'd do from here? This is my first 3D printer ever, and I was afraid of encountering any problems that weren't covered in the help files (since I knew that I'd feel a bit lost). So one of the screws might be too short?

Also, I'm wondering it that's causing any damage on the servos(?) or anything when the bed vibrates like that, or if there are any workarounds? I appreciate the response.

4. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Well, Check to make sure the Y limit switch isn't loose, it will be on the smaller black base plate, Under the build platform. If it is, you may need longer bolts or screws, I can't really tell you much more since I don't have my printer yet.

5. dbd

dbd New Member

[​IMG]
    I took a look underneath the build platform to see if anything seemed out of order (and included a hi rez photo), and I noticed that the black clip appears to be snapped (A in photo). I'm not sure if this is the cause of my troubles, OR if this snapped as a result of the bed trying to move past its limits. Maybe gluing it tightly back together might help?

Also, I watched the assembly kit videos on Youtube (specifically this one ) but I was still confused as to what my problem is.

I can take other photos, but does anything else look out of place here besides the snapped black clip (also, is that considered the limit switch)? And the screw that's too short, any advice on where that's located? Thanks!

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

The limit switch is the black plastic component in the pic with the wires coming off of it. There will be a little tiny push button on it with a thin metal lever over it.

From your description of the vibrating, I'm guessing that when you went to home, the platform never activated the switch and the stepper motor just kept trying to drive the platform. I doubt you damaged the motor unless you just let it keep grinding for an extended period of time. Belts may need tightening though. That printed piece probably cracked when that happened.

It sounds like the switch is not closing or has a wiring issue. If you have a multimeter, you can test continuity when you push the switch. Also follow the wires back to the board and see if they are mounted right. Maybe there is some insulation still over the wire at the connection.

Once you get the switch fixed, you can probably glue that piece back together, but you are going to want to replace it long term.

2 people like this.
  7. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

The metal lever is missing from your limit switch, That's your problem, How that happened, I have no clue.

It should look like this [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Printed Solid

Staff Member

:oops: Yeah, that is a much more obvious problem. No way that button would ever get pressed. I was completely turned around when I looked at that picture.

Thanks for the save Seshan!

dBd, Welcome to the Robo3D Kickstarter Beta Testing Team. Hopefully they can get you some replacement parts ASAP.

9. dbd

dbd New Member

Wow, thanks Printed Solid and Seshan, you guys rock! That's exactly what the problem was - as I was setting my Robo up lastnight, I noticed the small metal lever sitting on my desk. I wasn't sure what it went to (I was extremely careful unpacking my Robo, so I figured it couldn't possibly be from the printer), but I decided I'd better hang onto it. I slid it back into place, and now it's working perfectly!

So I think I understand now - there's one limit switch for each axis, and when you click home, it moves the extruder/print bed until it hits the limit switch's button, so it's used to detect when the axis is at 0, right? Gonna do a little research on this (I realized, the more I know about how it works, the less frustrated I'll become when I need to do some maintenance ;))

Thanks again!!!!

10. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

That's good to hear, Did it snap back in? Maybe put a little piece of scotch tape over the hinge part so it doesn't fall off again.

11. dbd

dbd New Member

Ahhh, good idea. It did slide back in, but it doesn't seem very tight. I'll try some scotch tape, that should do the trick!

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i would print the bracket also when you get the chance.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I ended up drilling a small hole and screwing in a small screw so I could make sure it does get pressed and I could act as a slight adjustment if ever needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.