1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Replacement Acrylic Middle Plate Black

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ProfessorPinky, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I disagree. Granted my build plate is 19" long and 1/4" aluminum plate but i could tell a huge difference extending it out. The original plate would flex on the base of the printer. Yes there's not a whole lot supporting it but i think it's enough. Also, the cost difference is minimal, it's getting cut already so it's just a little extra material. And more weight would just make your printer that much more sturdy. That's my 2 cents.

2. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Keep in mind the 8 holes on either side are for different bearings so you would need to replace the stock plastic Y axis bearings. I can get a link later for them.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@wheres waldo

That was just the file nathanfish had, for my printer build the extra pieces will be great as i wont have a body so the extra aluminum gives me something to bolt feet onto. I can ask for a quote without those pieces if there is interest

4. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Also the reason i didn't extend the plate all the way to the front and very back of the printer was because i found a piece of scrap 12" wide aluminum at work to use. So i left it at that. I thought about spending the extra money but i couldn't turn down scrap price.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Cost is defianently a factor and i can have them quote it without them if there is an interest

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Nathanfish got the plate back and man it's sweet. Thank you for that. You mentioned purchasing the pillow blocks, do you have that link? I'm modeling some up now but might not be bad to have what looks like beefier ones

Nathanfish likes this.
  7. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you very much! Btw amazing job on that plate! I'm using mine as the body and plate 1/2" aluminum and it's just perfect for what I'm doing !

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Nathanfish Picture of the plate :) (printed feet under it)the rest i just pulled back off after a mock up to see how it will all fit (my measurements needed some tweaking lol)

Attached Files:

10. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'm thinking the move to 10mm rods and pillow blocks made a big difference. The stock ones are 8mm with plastic holders bolted to the acrylic plate. I'm betting that just the aluminum plate in the same shape as the acrylic one with all the other upgrades would be a big improvement.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  11. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

@Nathanfish any possibility you could post your Y End Cap STLs? I like how you modified the limit switch location.
    I have a few sheets of acrylic laying around near my laser cutter and am probably going to make this plate in acrylic, the extended length would help with the flex.

12. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Here's the most recent STL i made of the Y brackets for 10mm rails. Kind of wished i would have used 12mm now but i think i just need to start over with a new machine. Make sure you print them out of PETG or something that can handle some heat. The first ones i made out of PLA warped when i turned up my bed heater to 85 or so.

Attached Files:

Geof and JoshYourITGuy like this.
  13. John Hartsough

John Hartsough New Member

The plate MUST be extended to the full travel of the bed! Glide plates MUST be placed under the bed, and in contact with bed full travel. Anything else and you end up with leveling problems down the road. This falls under the category of poor design.
    In the pictures the glide plates are 1/2" by 1/16" aluminum strips always in direct contact with underside of bed. This keeps the bed in the plane of the glide plates, and not leaning down in front or back. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

This thread is a blast from the past lol. I still rock the acrylic middle plate... On both my r1+ machines, no issues

15. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Me too Geof, ..in addition I massively reamed out the holes in mine to try to get those brass bushing bearsing deals to not bind. ( I didn't screw with the R1+ i sold you)

seems to work fine still even with crazy oblonged holes in the black acrylic.

Geof likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Reminds me of the early betas, I still have one with a wooden bed :) At least the under0frame is.

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sigh....:D. You need a metal plate Mark? I might be able to help ya out with that lol. Send me a DXF we'll waterjet it for you

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I already bought that ginormous aluminum plate to replace the bed and associated bits -- thanks anyway :)
    I just am waiting for the workshop to be completed before starting on anything.

Geof likes this.
  19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Talk to me about this, I have a DXF of the plate and my acrylic plate is bowed a bit.

Geof likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

PM inbound