1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Replacement Nozzles - Suggestions please

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Rigmarol, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I read on another post that they had worn out a few nozzles within the same approximate time I've been printing on my original nozzle that came with my Hexigon R1 plus.

I've got a spool of Carbon Fiber and a spool of Wood I want to try and since these are billed as "abrasive" i figure I'd probably line up some replacement nozzles.

I'd also like to try some different diameters as well.

So, I'm turning to the group for some suggestions. I don't mind paying a premium price if the nozzle is worth it. I'm leery of the packs of 5 or more nozzles for less than 8 bucks too. Seems a little too inexpensive to be true.

What do you all recommend for abrasive, regular and multiple diameters?

Thanks.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

If recommend going with hardened nozzle and boy Brad's if you are going to abrasive filaments. You can get the ones for the e3d v6 and there have the same thread pattern as the hex. @Printed Solid has them and in different nozzle hole sizes. You can get them other places, but i like Matt's customer service. If you needed help getting the old one of and new one on let us know. Best to change when nozzle is warmed up but be careful. Need to support the hot end so you don't bend or break anything.

Printedsolid.com

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would still buy the cheap five packs if I was doing anything but abrasive filaments. For the cost of a hardened nozzle you could buy a few multi-packs and replace the nozzle every month. Brass is brass is brass, so don't be fooled by the sourced from China expensive nozzles vs the sourced from China cheap nozzles.

Now also don't make the mistake of buying stainless steel nozzles. They are completely unnecessary and just buring money. They are built specifically for one reason, to eliminate any lead transfer from nozzle to finished print and are specific to the food and medical industries. The heat unevenly and are not much harder and will wear as fast as the brass ones will.

Hardened steel on the other hand is specifically made with abrasive filaments in mind and will wear nearly forever with normal filaments and somewhat shorter with abrasive filaments.

The reason I still use brass v. hardened steel all the time. I don't like cleaning out filament jams, although I haven't had one in a while. If I have a jam, I just remove the cheap brass nozzle and throw it away then put on a new pre-seasoned one. No muss, no fuss.

5. Rigmarol

Great info and nice insight to to the "why" and "how" involved.

I've learned to remove my nozzle early on so I'm good on that score but thanks, it's good to make note of how to do the nozzle removal for future users as well.

I was looking at the hardened steel nozzles and was debating about the cost of one versus and handful for less money spent.

Any thoughts on the variety pack of 5 sizes?

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have never seen variety packs, although you might be able to do something like that on eBay or Aliexpress with an email to the seller. I have been surprised that there aren't any variety packs available. I would certainly buy one or two then maybe five packs of the two most common sizes, that would give you a dozen of the most common sizes and two each of the rest. I have also thought hard about Hardened Steel (excuse the pun) and since I don't really buy abrasive filament in large rolls I can sacrifice a brass nozzle or two for the limited printing I do.

7. Rigmarol

I'm thinking I'll order one of these:
    (Link was Deleted so nobody orders them by mistake like I almost did.)
    and one of these:
    (Link was Deleted also, same reason)

#7 Rigmarol, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  10. Rigmarol

Thanks!
    The reason I asked here was to avoid mistakes. I appreciate it.

11. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Any that fits the E3D should be fine. Whatever sizes (like 0.4) you want are up to you.
    If you go a lot larger you will sacrifice speed since you will be forced to slow down (unless you install a volcano adapter).

13. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member

Thank you for the advice Mark much appreciated. Now if using carbon fiber PLA how fast will I go through the stock nozzle?

And would it be wise to invest in a steel nozzle for Robo as sold here? https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Swiss-...=1480629092&sr=8-4&keywords=robo+3d++extruder

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are going to do more than occasional use of the CF embedded filaments you will want to use the hardened steel nozzles.

I went a year with normal PLA and no detectable wear on the brass nozzle. Other specialty ones (like woodfil, brassfil, stell, concrete, etc) will also cause faster wear. Now I just use the hardened steel nozzles all the time. Make sure you get hardened steel, not stainless. Stainless is harder than brass, but you really want the hardened steel ones.

The ones you link to are not the hardened steel.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. Matt Gorski

Matt Gorski Member