1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Replicator 2 question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Robert Choban, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I am working with 3 schools that have received free Replicator 2 printers, from companies in my area. I believe there are people on this forum that also have these printers. I am looking for a good forum or a places on the internet I can learn about how the Replicator 2 works and the problems that might happen using this printer. I have found that some of the places to get help have been shutdown.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hi Robert, I have some experience with that printer. Unlike the 5th gen, the rep 2 is really a fabulous machine. Probably the best place for honest advice is still scouring the archive of the makerbot owners google group (which as you mention has been shut down). Many of the active members of that group moved over to the makerbot users google group when it was closed down. One piece of advice. Spend time reading through the archives before asking questions. I haven't been participating for a while, but I can tell you that when I was, if you posted a question that was already answered weeks or months prior, you'd get a lot of rather nasty responses back. Extremely knowledgeable people, but kind of that Saturday Night Live Computer Guy type.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ugh I hate groups like that.

I also have a rep2 and a 2x. Surprisingly nice printers but it's kinda like taking care of a child whose mother cheated on you. It's not their fault, but that resentment won't really go away since every time you look at it all you can think of is what happened.

4. Robert Choban

Thanks for the feed back I will start reading through the google groups. Anything you can tell me to watch out for when using the Replicator 2.
    Can I use any filament, does It need a oilere, can I use other slices or do I have to use Makerbot slicer.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Replicator 2's don't have a heated bed. An oiler is always a good idea with PLA. You can use any software that exports to x3g such as simplify 3d and possibly kisslicer. It's also possible for makerware to compile Gcode into x3g

6. Robert Choban

Mike is x3g the same as an stl file. Guess I'm not sure what x3g is? Do you know if simplify 3d has base setting for a replicator 2 (bed size, hot end Z height, etc).
    Do you use simplify 3d on your replicator

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

x3g is a wrapper for gcode, it has extra stuff like LED commands and little songs and such. It takes G-code and adds the extras to it and spits out x3g.

Simplify3d has built in Replicator 2 settings. I've been using it on my replicator 2 primarily.

8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

With a school using the rep 2, I'd guide them to just using makerware unless there is a tech teacher or something that's going to really dive into using one of the open source programs and then using GPX or replicator g to convert the gcode to x3g.

There is a motor cable (I believe the X-axis?) that tends to go bad. @harry had that happen on his.

They can benefit from a little bit of seasoning from time to time, but don't need it nearly as much as the hexagon.

You can print a lot of different materials. PLA based materials (PLA, bronzefill, woodfill, etc) will do best, but you can also do smaller parts in XT, T-glase, and even nylon.

Mike's analogy in post #3 is spot on. The rep2 was probably makerbot's best machine (although I love my Rep Dual) but it was also their first tip toes into closed source that eventually got them to releasing that 5th gen POS.

2 people like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, tell us how you really feel :)

(and I think anyone who messed with one will agree)

2 people like this.