1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

reprapdiscount LCD display

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Clark Sechrest

Clark Sechrest New Member

I'm interested in one of those displays. How do you install it to run your robo?

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

you attach a few cables and then have to make a modification to your config.h file and then reupload it to the ramps board. It is not that tricky but you will need some arduino software to upload the new firmware. The edit it self is a single line

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It's really easy.

Connecting it is nothing more than just plugging a cable into the arduino board.

The firmware does have to be flashed, but this is also pretty simple. download the latest arduino software, connect to the board over USB, hold down a button on the board, send the new code, and done.

The only thing that is actually changed in the firmware is that a few lines of code that say reprapdiscountLCD need to be uncommented.

4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Thanks tesseract, your post went up while I was writing mine. Jinx?

5. James

James Member

Well... after reading the viki remix post ... looks like I'm SOL if I use it and the ramps/arduino goes wonky.... So Printed... have any of the lcds left:) how much?

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

$69 with free shipping in the US. PM me your email address and I'll send you a paypal invoice.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What sort of control options does it add to printing? Can you adjust speeds and temperatures from it mid print?

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

yes Mike you can it allows you to do several thing adjust motor steps , pre heatfor PLA or ABS cool down adjust rates and it has the sd card feature I will not have any printer without an LCD now better value then the hobbed bolt or all metal hot end in my book I have one of these already If he has one I would get it

2 people like this.
  9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Thanks for answering that one tesseract! You can make quite a few adjustments on the fly (speed, feed, temperature, and even calibration settings). When you're not running a job, you have access to all of the calibration settings. Definitely worth the money.

If you're in the US, you can buy them from me and save a few $$ from shipping.

In other countries, you'll probably be quite happy buying them direct from reprapdiscount. Mine was shipped pretty quickly.

10. Printed Solid

Staff Member

11. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I was just informed that I had an error in the shipping settings for this display. It should now give free shipping, but contact me if it doesn't.

I've been including samples of the colorFabb PLA/PHA with each one I ship.

Also planning on running a Black Friday special for this and other things in the shop from 8am-10am Easter Standard Time on Friday. If you've been thinking about going to an SD card solution, Friday will be a good opportunity for you to save some $$.

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed the SD option is nice to have so you can print and be doing other things and teh setup is really easy the latest robo firmware has it built in

2 people like this.
  13. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I'm actually going to just let this run all day (starting now). $9 off XXL with free US shipping from printedsolid.com

14. James Rood

James Rood New Member

i just got the large graphical reprapdiscount lcd in the mail today from HK i ordered a long time ago and i wanted to know if someone could tell me where to get the robo 3d firmware ive been looking for a download link on this site but have not found one. I've done a few projects with arduinos and i want to make sure i dont mess this printer up by reflashing the arduino control-board with the wrong settings. the main thing im lost on is if im flashing the arduino its self or the ramps board for the lcd addon? and where are the settings for the amount of steps for mm of movement on each stepping motor settings cause if i change them i know im screwed. is there somekind of config just for the robo 3d that is uploaded? if anyone could help me out to answer this that would be great, im kind of lost when it comes to stepper motors.

15. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

16. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Question: Where does the board for the controller get plugged into on the RAMPS board?

17. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

at the end, [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Thanks Seshan. :)

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

there should be along set of pins that it go right into the board but Printed _Solid would probably have images he can get you

20. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Thanks Seshan. James, put up some pictures of your large panel. I'm curious to see how that works out.