1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

reprapdiscount LCD display

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Bob64

Bob64 Member

To clarify. To install the board, plug it into the ramps board. Then flash the firmware located here:
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/marlin-firmware-10-9-13.1071/

with the arduino software. Open up Martin_LCD and the arduino software will load all the other required libraries. Hit the upload button and it should recognize the reprapdiscount lcd automatically once it reboots.

2. shaggy2629

shaggy2629 New Member

I need help in deciding which LCD to get, the xxl or graphic version

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

most of us are running the XXL. not sure what added function you will get with the graphical display other than having it show a logo when you turn it on.

2 people like this.
  4. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I've added the graphic display to my shop. So, both the XXL and graphic version are there now for the same price. Both have code in Marlin, but the 'stock' Robo version of Marlin will work with the XXL only.

So, if you want the easiest solution, definitely go with the XXL.

The graphic display might be more fun if you want to play around with the firmware.

5. scotta

scotta Active Member

Printed Solid or anyone else who has installed the XXL, how have you mounted the board? Did you print a case for the unit?

6. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Personally, I just leave mine naked and get zapped every now and then when I grab it the wrong way :eek: , but I think most people print cases.
    There are a few cases for it on thingiverse. Our own tonycstech put up one specific for the robo here. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:219362. I have a more generic case linked on my shop page.

2 people like this.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I received the XXL LCD from Matt and it works great! I did not realize that the above linked firmware Marlin_LCD already had the proper #define uncommented. So it required no code modificaiton. I just flashed it with the Arduino GUI and it worked. As I had hoped, the LCD also works with the USB and Repetier active and vice versa.

I am going to attempt to extend the ribbon cables by a few inches so I can mount it on the upper part of the printer's cover. I'll take a look at some of the signals before and after to see if the longer wires significantly increases overshoot/undershoot. I plan to use the original cover design but make ribbon cable slots out the back.

2 people like this.
  8. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

I printed the non robo case and just leave it on the table so i can view from anywhere

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I'm out of the XXLs until Chinese New Year (2/12), but am allowing backorders so I know how many to get.

I do have 10 of the graphic displays, but they require a different section of the marlin code to be uncommented. I'm going to give that a try this week and will post my results.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I heard there was a max limit of something like 30-40cm cable length which has stopped me from mounting it in a location I wanted to so if you are successful please post as this would be good news and let me mount mine as well.

11. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Tesseract , I heard that too about the cable length. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Printed, I saw in the firmware comments that for the Graphic LCD you need to include a graphics library from Github in the Aruduino library directory. Does not sound difficult.

2 people like this.
  12. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

I have the Graphics LCD and just had to remove the comment from that one line.
    The u8glib is a zip file that you can just drag and drop the folder into the Arduino lib dir.
    It was that simple and works like a charm.

2 people like this.
  13. Printed Solid

Staff Member

If I have trouble, I'll be hitting you up. I gave my own XXL to somebody as a replacement for one that arrived damaged. I don't want to be printing tethered for 2 weeks!

14. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Anyone UK based have any for sale or anyone interested if I buy 10?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

15. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Thanks to a little help from Warlocke, I can also confirm that the full graphics display works.
    Apparently there is a little bug in Marlin (or at least the version I was working off of) where, ironically for us, the code they added for the viki caused a problem with the full graphics reprapdiscount LCD.

I've got 10 of them available for anyone that really wants an LCD but doesn't want to wait until the XXLs are in. I've attached modified firmware.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  16. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Updated section C.3. of the FAQ :)

2 people like this.
  17. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Printed how much to get one to the UK?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Glad to see that code fix worked!
    Yeah, I guess it was a bit of "dumb luck" :rolleyes: that I grabbed a pre-Viki firmware to test mine with. I take no further credit.

For those that want to modify their own firmware, here is the relevant code.
    This is for the Viki-patched versions of Marlin.

Add the 'wasClicked = 0; \' line (line 118) in '#define MENU_ITEM' in ultralcd.cpp

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Printed Solid

Staff Member

There were a few other solutions posted as well. That's the one I went with.

tompeel, I'll send you a PM. reprapdiscount has great international shipping rates, but if you don't want to wait until they're shipping again next week, I'll figure out how to send you one.

2 people like this.
  20. scotta

scotta Active Member

I purchased a XXL display on eBay, installed it, reflashed to the latest version of Marlin software (the one that came out a couple of days agod). I did have the 10/8/2013 version installed.
    I cannot get it to display. The display has power, but nothing on the screen. When I turn the dial it beeps. I can insert an SD card with gCode and trigger it to run from repetier.
    I can then disconnect the USB and it keeps printing.
    I think the XXL card is faulty..... any other options?

IMG_3621.jpg