1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved [REPRAPGURU] 2004 LCD Smart Display Controller - With RoBo R1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by darcangeloel, Apr 13, 2016.

1. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Hello Fellow Roboers!

I did a quick search but couldn't find much on this particular board. The reviewers from amazon seem to think it would work. For $20, it seems like a nice and simple upgrade for my Robo 3D R1. Can anyone else confirm if this would work? I would really appreciate it... Would this require any soldering? I don't mind, I would just want to know how big of a project I would be getting my self into. I have the Robo 3D R1 with self leveling and PLA/ABS (It was a refurbished one I brought for $475 a few weeks back). It's been a ton of fun learning on and making upgrades for ( I made a bathroom fan exhaust system which vents the fumes out a closed window, the cost of that project was around $20 including a new fan, No wiring or soldering required, also no damage to the case although it is attached to the back of the printer firmly and doesn't impede print area). I think adding a kit like this would be a fun learning experience in getting to know my RoBo better. All input would be greatly appreciated.

Link:
    http://www.amazon.com/REPRAPGURU-Di...DAKE4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#Ask

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. Not saying that it IS the same one :)
    I have not done any real research, but it sure looks a lot like it.

4. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

So you think it might work? Do either of these require soldering?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The RepRap Discount LCD does not require any soldering.
    You simply remove the Robo provided SD card reader and plug in the LCD reader (they use some of the same pins).

Previously the Discount LCD did not need any firmware changes to work either (it worked with the stock firmware).

In the interest of full disclosure: I have one Robo with the RepRap Discount LCD and the other with the Full Graphics one. Both work fine, the FG one needed a firmware tweak.

#5 mark tomlinson, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  6. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

I feel like it's worth $19 just to see if it would work. Looking around on amazon they have a ton of clones for the discount lcd you mentioned (I think this one is as well but it has prime and I hate waiting ;) ). I did notice the cables for this model look max short. Would they be long enough to work with my Robo without major modification? Or would I need to buy/build a longer connector for this. I know with some of these they strongly recommend not altering the cables (I have no idea why, maybe impedance? )

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They should work if you are not picky about where you mount it.
    One LCD came with 10 inch cables the other one about 6 inch.. not sure I remember exactly.
    You only have to get it just to the outside of the printer. the 10 inch ones were plenty long enough the others were only just long enough.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looking at the picture I would say those are 6-8 inches most likely. Hard to tell in the photo because they are doubled up.

This question looks helpful las well:

"
    Question:
    Does it work with robo 3d r1+?

Answer:
    Yes it does. I have the Robo 3D R1 Plus with this module installed. There are no modifications needed, simply unplug the SD card reader from the board under the printer and plug in the screen. May appear blank with power, simple adjustment of the contrast screw on the module fixes that. "

9. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Thanks for all the help. I'd like it to sit in the front right corner out of the way of the tray. Do you think 6 inches would cut it for that or would that only allow this to fix overtop where the old sd card slot used to be? Not sure if you know , just would be helpful if you had any clue about it. :)

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Depends on what you call the front. The RAMPS is located right behind the Robo logo so if you call that the front you should be fine.

11. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

You sir make a good point. Yes that is what I meant. The blue ROBO letters on what I would call the front. I would want to put it to the right of the Robo as pictured here. While I'm being annoying, would you happen to have a link to a bracket I could use to attach this to the Robo? (It seems like the same size as the reprap discount). I did find the below but I doubt this would fit it.

[​IMG]

Thing Link:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1027517

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If is is the same as the RepRap discount one:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:905368

that is what I have mine mounted with... in that same spot

Your link is for the Full Graphic LCD... not the same at all.

LCD.jpg

#12 mark tomlinson, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  13. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Do you have a picture of your lcd attached to the Robo 3d? Just curious how it turned out :)

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is what the Full Graphics one looks like. Had to print a bracket as well as a case for that.

LCD 2.jpg

16. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Doh! Sorry, thanks for the pictures. It looks like you mounted the discount one on the right side (Where the usb port is) Was this due to how short the cables were or preference? Can you think of any problem with mounting the same lcd case you used on the front (Blocking the X or Y carriage, ect)

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is pretty much as far as the cables would go. It *might* reach over to the front, but I can't swear to that. You can mount the case low enough not to block anything. The FG case would not fit -- it is too high.

18. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

How hard was the FG firmware change to install. I'm considering one of those as well. Or would I have to do a firmware upgrade at all?

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a one-line edit :) to CONFIGURATION.H

20. darcangeloel

darcangeloel Member

Any idea where I could get one of those for 30 or under?