1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo 3D and Makerware-Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ashikaru, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Ashikaru

Ashikaru New Member

Hello all!
    I am 100% new to 3D modeling and printing so naturally I've got a ton of questions about them. While waiting for my Robo in come in (3 weeks left hopefully :) ) I've been doing research on the actual process of preparing a model to be printed. I've run into a catch however with a model I wish to print. It has a few overhangs which need to be addressed. I know that Makerware allows for both supports and rafts to be added by the program and am now wondering if I could make my Robo work with the Makerware software.

I've attached a picture of the part I am working on for reference.

Attached Files:

2. scotta

scotta Active Member

Pretty well all slicing software supports supports. Slic3r, cura, etc can all do supports.
    The latest versions of slic3r has really improved snap off supports.
    Most of the time I use repetier host with the slic3r engine.

I would not be bothering with makerware.

2 people like this.
  3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That model actually doesn't look like it needs much support...
    But to answer your question, makerware is actually pretty good now especially with some of the cool options for dual extrusion.
    They have a really nice raft algorithm that gives great peel away rafts that are better than any other program I've used by far.
    It can export Gcode, so it can probably be configured to work with the robo, but you will have to dig around quite a bit to find the settings since their intention is really that it is a tool for makerbot owners.

Strictly speaking of supports, it doesn't do any better at making removable supports than any of the other slicers out there.