1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo 3D dual extruder upgrade or mod?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Vacrin, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to add a second extruder to the ROBO 3D? If it is, what would be needed? If anyone has instructions on doing this modification I would be forever in your debt :)

thank you

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

3. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

Thank you! I'll look around more :)

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It's really not an easy endeavor and a lot of people find once it's all said and done it wasn't worth the effort.

What sort of applications are you looking to accomplish with dual extrusions? I don't really want to have a guide out there because it might encourage people to follow a bad path leading to more headaches. So I tend to just address it on a case by case basis.

5. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

3D modeling and complex art, as well as the ability to print abs and pla at the same time so that I can make the support out of pla and print the model or such in abs. Then just dissolve the pla away. Plus 2 colors just looks cool lol.

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I would think HIPS or whatever that material is called would be better than PLA for a dual extruder setup (the one that will literally dissolve away with a water rinse).

7. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

Even better! But either way, using two different filaments so one can be support and the other the main material. Or just multi-colored prints, for design and artwork.

8. daniel871

9. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

Dang for only a half kg its still 45 lol. That is awesome though, I might look into getting some pva once I finish upgrading. Although buying the chemical to melt PLA wouldn't be to bad either I think.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also want to print clear plastic's for lenses and such.

#9 Vacrin, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Dual extrusion for color is a waste of effort.
    For multi-material, yes it can be worth doing (but you are largely on-your-own going down that road).

11. daniel871

I think the logic for multiple extruders is basically either "one for part material, one for support material" or "multi-material assemblies printed at once", right?

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Honestly most of the time with HIPS i just pull it away. It breaks off nicely with no need to use a chemical to solve it out. Only time it's necessary is when there's a lot of nooks and cranny's that you can't get to with tweezers.

For dual extrusion I suggest the chimera/cyclops. It's the best option right now. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:671881

The chimera is better for filaments with different temperature requirements, IE PVA since it likes colder temperatures than PLA even. For HIPS/ABS though the cyclops is top notch.

Getting the legends pack is the best option. Then it's a matter of figuring out your cold end setup. I like the greg's wade reloaded extruder but there's other options out there. You will need to pick up a second stepper driver though since the ramps only has 4 right now.

#12 Mike Kelly, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  13. Vacrin

Vacrin Member

Legends pack? Where would I get that? Oh very awesome! I'm glad you said something! I was going to go with the D.E.I.S.S Dual extruder method, didn't even know!

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can buy it from E3D directly, e3d-online.com

I believe PrintedSolid.com also sells it as does Filastruder.com

Do a ton of research and figure out what you're getting into before buying anything. It's not easy nor is it always worthwhile. Buyer beware

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Bowden :(
    No direct drive version of this ?

16. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

After I created the dual extruder, E3D contacted me and provided me a free sample of the legends pack. I will do an update of my extruder for the cyclops/chimera, unfortunately time is short to work on this project. I hope that I am able to make some progress soon, it will work as the first version by moving the motor between the two filament paths.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  17. janot928

janot928 Active Member

Did you do any progress on that part?

18. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Unfortunately not, I finished another project first, but work and other things take a lot of time. I don't know when I find some free time to continue the work at the extruder.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk