1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo 3D Plus & Pro

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BenMac, Jul 21, 2015.

1. BenMac

BenMac Member

Hey guys, I have been considering buying the Robo 3D R1 for a while now. But then I heard about them coming out with an upgraded version sometime between now and next month. I was wondering if you guys think it is worth while to wait for the new version?
    I am assuming that the Plus will replace the default R1. Since it makes little sense to keep the current model going beyond emptying the warehouses. Though I can't find definitive information about its price, just the R1 Pro.
    I am not likely to wait for the Pro, since I want to get printing this summer. Plus, it seems like the main difference is likely to be the touch screen.

Quoted from their Facebook page.
    "We are coming out with a plus version of the R1 that is built better, stronger, with lead screws and such in August. And we are coming out with the matter control touch fully embedded solution called the pro in October."

"The R1 pro will be $949.99. It offers an additional add on full color touch screen for 1 button printing"

Edit: Minor alterations

#1 BenMac, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  2. Aaron Mitchell

Aaron Mitchell New Member

Ben,

If you don't want to wait you can upgrade to the Robo 3DR1 PLUS as you go...That is what I and others in the community have done.

Robo3D has made the upgraded lead screws available to us and an LCD control with SD card loading and single button printing(available through third party vendors) can be added on as well.

What you are looking at below IS a Robo3DR1+
    IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0836.JPG

3. BenMac

BenMac Member

Aaron,

True, a current model could be upgraded to the Plus version. Though I also am considering the possibility that the Vanilla Plus will come with some other structural and hardware improvements that the current R1 doesn't have. BTW, that is a good looking machine, well done. :)

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The R1 Plus will be the same price as the current printer.

I don't know much about the R1 pro but your guess about it just having an LCD is a good one.

5. BenMac

BenMac Member

Very cool Mike, thank you for confirming that. :)

Well, the LCD is not a guess for the Pro. The quotes above come from the official Facebook page for Robo. I believe the lower one took place during an AMA with the creator of the company. No other distinctive features were mentioned. (Or at least that I noticed)

Edit: Added a link

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I mean I know the Pro will have the LCD like you said, but the guess that it's the only upgrade over the plus makes sense

7. BenMac

BenMac Member

Ok, sorry, I can sometimes miss what someone means. Thank you for explaining what you meant. :)

8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That Facebook post is relatively old though isn't it? I don't think they are going to have anything til closer to the end of the year.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. BenMac

BenMac Member

Well, the R2 will certainly be coming out toward the end of the year. On July 17th they were asked when the R2 was coming out, and they replied that it would be the end of the year.

The top comment was made July 3rd, and the bottom one was made May 13th. So the one with the timeframes for the R1 models was made relatively recently. Though I guess around 19 days ago could be considered a relatively old.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

We'll see. Hopefully they are close to that, but history says pad it some :)

11. BenMac

BenMac Member

True, I will keep my fingers crossed. :)

12. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

The R2 I highly doubt will be out by the end of the year. They haven't even decided if they are going direct drive or bowden yet.

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The R2 better be Bowden if it's going to deliver on dual extrusion.

14. BenMac

BenMac Member

It is entirely possible that it will be some time next year, though a lot can happen between now and December. They may fast track it so that they can sell it before Christmas.

15. jbigler1986

I would not want them to fast track it. That would mean a lot of issues. No thanks.

Printed Solid likes this.
  16. BenMac

BenMac Member

I agree, it would not be good for them to fast track the newer models. I would rather wait and get a printer that works right away, than get one tomorrow that requires an extra $100-$200 to get quality prints. Or simply doesn't work.

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

They will ship it and you will still need resources invested to make good prints, it seems to be how things are done in the wild wild 3d printing market.

18. jbigler1986

Yep. Expect to put some money into any printer sub $1000. It's part of the fun to me though.

19. BenMac

BenMac Member

True, it seems fairly common, particularly for printers designed to be fiddled with.

20. BenMac

BenMac Member

I apologize for the double post, but it looks like the Plus is up for pre-order. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys have already noticed. How many of you are planning to pre-order it? If you aren't, why not?

If I could, I would happily preorder it. Unfortunately my credit card has a $500 limit (circumstances), and it looks like financing isn't available for making payments. Right now, the only place I can purchase larger items with my credit card is Amazon. (Saving up gift cards)
    Why happily? Well, these new models should be better than the previous ones, even if it is an incremental improvement.

A Side note, big props to Robo for picking up on their support on Amazon.