1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ROBO 3D R1+ Plus w LCD screen?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Coach Tom, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coach Tom

Coach Tom New Member

I just received my new Robo3D R1+Plus and connected to my Pi w Octoprint w cam which all works perfectly. It's secure web UI with Cura slicing, video playback and monitoring, etc. This setup works so well and my Robo 3D R1 Plus is much better than R1, never a misprint yet, that I ordered another at work through my company.

Now, I want to add to 1 R1 plus printer a (1) Full Graphic Smart Controller, because I already bought it long time ago. I also want to add to 2nd R1 plus printer a (2) Reprapdiscount Smart LCD Controller XXL. However, according to robo3d.com, the firmware is not published yet. I've called and requested for it. I was told they will send me the HEX file. Don't I need the INO and config files in order to update which driver "define..." to use for these controllers???? HEX file will only allow me reload the firmware not make any mods, right???

I'd like to be able to see the printer status as well as using the controller features seen on youtube like "NoviceExpert" and "Nerdgasm". These two guys are awesome!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

DjAnnexAlpha likes this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Robo has never done a great job on making the firmware available. You're right, you can't really do anything with the compiled firmware files.
    I think that you can probably work off of the firmware version that they do have posted on the support file, but you need to change the zsteps to 800. Let me get a confirmation on that before you do anything though.

3. Printed Solid

Staff Member

confirmed. Go for it.

4. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Awesome! I was thinking of a way to control my Robo R1 via the web as well as monitor my prints from home. Can you shed some more light on the configuration you currently have?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sonny's Robo3D likes this.
  6. Coach Tom

Coach Tom New Member

PrintedSolid. I ordered a xxl LCD from your website so just waiting now. I believe it works out of the box R1 plus as I've been told by tech support. As for the full graphics LCD indeed I need the InO files. Waiting on firmware for it. I'm not sure where the zsteps you are referring to goes? In octoprint config?

Dj.. The config for octoprint w pi was fairly straightforward and I got it from . Just got a raspi, a Logitech webcam USB , a wifi USB and follow instructions from video. Just download img put on sd card and install on pi. I later added most of plugins and cura slicer googled for howto. Now I basically download a yeggi or thingiverse stl file and drop it directly to my octopi web ui. It takes the stl and cura slices to gcode then prints. I no longer need to use matter Control to export gcode. I also don't need a computer connected to USB cable just the pi only w USB to printer.

I can tell you my new R1plus has printed 3days in a row almost nonstop and never once hiccup or bad print or errors. The lead screws are much improved and the mounting are now solid. I can even swap multiple brand PLAs and still print successfully over 15 diff prints from 10min to 7 hrs. I have five brands of PLA mostly cheap or ones I caught on sale from Amazon about 20+Rolls I accumulated so far. It's a very good printer compared to six others I've used.

Btw I used the windisk imager to make copies, by read a SD to img then write to new SD, and duplicate my running CFG to another SD card and use it on another printer. Saves me lots of time from having dnld to cfgr again.

Thanks all

7. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Your XXL will be to you soon I'm sure :)
    Z steps/mm are in the config.h file. You don't need to wait for robo to send you anything. You can use the ones that Mike linked to or use one of the ones in Ziggy's thread on the full graphics controller.

8. Coach Tom

Coach Tom New Member

Yes thanks. I understand about the config.h file. I can't use any current INO files or firmware bc I have the just released R1plus and according to tech support it's diff and has not been released. In addition on website...
    If you own a ROBO R1 +Plus, DO NOT update your 3D Printer. Please contact support if you need new firmware.

I don't understand why it's not already out. They or sent me the hex file too.

Anyone have an answer, robo3d???

FOLLOW UP:
    on firmware . It's now available online.
    No need to do anything for XXL controller and uncomment a line for Full graphics controller. I also made serveral other mods according to youtube vids and few other recommendations on this forum. Now my printer success rate is about 99%. Any errors are usually because my models or else.

#8 Coach Tom, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am not sure why Robo is telling you this. There has been no major release of Marlin firmware since 1.0.0 and that is what the Robo uses. It is slightly modified from the original, in that Configuration.h file has been modified to work specifically with the Robo hardware. If you were to take the latest version released for the R1, make the appropriate change(s) to accommodate the upgrades in the +PLUS I am pretty sure you would have the current R1 +PLUS firmware.

Unless they f'ed it up somehow the XXL LCD is configured by default. It literally should be shut everything off, unplug your printer, install the LCD, power it back up and it should work.

10. Printed Solid

Staff Member

I also don't know why they are telling you this. I have confirmation from them that all you need to do is adjust the zsteps and you're fine.

11. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I am currently looking to software mods and such for the Raspberry Pi 2 B Model. Planning on using your setup with addition to a webcam to monitor prints from work and such. The only fear I have is the printer catching fire and my house burns down...can anyone alleviate my fears or is it a real possibility?

12. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Sadly, it is a possibility and it has happened. The biggest issue is when a thermistor comes loose and the heater just keeps running at full power to reach a temperature it can never get to. There are some things in the firmware to prevent this now, but best advice is to not leave this running unattended... can't say it's realistic advice, but it really is the best thing to do.

13. Coach Tom

Coach Tom New Member

I actually am able to monitor my prints from almost everywhere using my smartphone or a web browser. I use vlc or any video streamer and leave a window of my webcam running at my office or in my car over 4G LTE etc. just enter ur URL into almost any video player.. Ie. try vlc.exe http://yourip.address:8079/?action=stream to connect to ur pi cam.

I also have a home automation system which the printer is also connected to using an appliance module of up to 15amp AC pwr; via a VPN connection I am able to tap on my phone and it will pwr off or on the printer and raspi. On a few occasions with my old 3D xyzprinting printer I had to shut it all down while I was an hr away using the HA system.

So far I've not had any printing issue w the R1 plus. The nice secret is the 5v pi and not having a computer connected or awake 24x7. A HA system does cost you a bit but there s other alternatives such as an appliance switch or similar control via ur wifi over ur a VPN for security. My HA system I am able to control majority of the house anyway, such as HVAC, garage openers, 1 door, alarm Sys, security cams, lights, TV, computers, etc.

Jimmy Husain likes this.
  14. Coach Tom

Coach Tom New Member

Sorry, forgot to mention, Robo3D tech support sent me the latest R1 plus INO and include files which they apparently tweaked a little bit from the other versions. Now I can't wait to use the xxl screen I ordered.

Btw the mounting for the extruder on the R1 plus is much simpler to remove clogs or broken filament, only requires two screws and pops off to side to remove the bad filament. I don't even have to unplug the fan or anything else..especially since the extruder needs to be heated to remove the broken piece anyway.

Enjoy all.

15. Lyconthrous

Lyconthrous New Member

After asking Printed Solid if this controller would work with the plus, I found this thread. So please post your results of the final set up of the controller for those of us with the plus. We'll by the end of the month I'll have my printer.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Coach Tom likes this.
  16. Coach Tom

Coach Tom New Member

Robo3D Addons.jpg

Here's my follow up w pics for the XXL smart LCD display controller. It's awesome and well worth the $60 from printedsolid.com. Also shown is a RaspberryPi for my Octoprint w wifi stick to control my printer.

The Pi case was a tweak I made from another pi case at thingiverse.com.. see http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1063292

I have the same setup w my work printer. However, I am using a full graphics smart LCD display controller from eBay for $35 on my second Robo3D R1 plus. It works great too but does not look quite as good as the XXL display.

Robo3D Addons2.jpg Robo3D Addons3.jpg

The filament holder holds 2 or 3 rolls and can easily pops off and insert another roll in seconds. It's available on thingiverse.com.. at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1064237

Robo3D Addons4.jpg

#16 Coach Tom, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  17. Sonny's Robo3D

Nice Job Coach - all looks really good. Although that spool holder looks a little flimsy, I might be worried I might drop a spool on my glass bed and break it. Also can you do me a favor and take a picture of the extruder? I want to see the changes in the new R1 plus feeding system - might want to update my R1 to it. I already got the lead screw upgrade and my Robo has printed better than ever

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The spool holder is best left as a standalone 'thing'. Don't attach it to the printer.
    Broken beds are bad.

jbigler1986 likes this.
  19. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I agree with Mark. If you want a spool holder on your printer use the stock one. Sometimes spools have tangles in them and cause tons of issues. If you have one and it causes your holder to break you are looking at a broken bed.

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.