1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo 3D R1 Printer and electric consumption

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by XavierB, Mar 11, 2015.

1. XavierB

XavierB New Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if you have estimated how you pay more per month on your electric bill using your 3d printer? I wanted to confirm or infirm a perception of my 3D printer cost more than only the filaments.

Cheers,
    Xavier

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Power consumption is fairly low. Once you're running, it's going to be between 25W and about 100W.
    The vast majority of that comes from the heated bed. So, the cooler you keep bed temp, the less power you consume.

Ziggy and Mike Kelly like this.
  3. ibrew

ibrew New Member

I've had mine running for about a month now, it's been plugged into a Kill-a-Watt the entire time. I'd estimate that it's been printing for ~10-30% of that time. While printing, consumption will vary from 40 to 174 watts (skewed towards the lower end for PLA and the higher end for ABS), and it idles at 13 watts with nothing printing. It has consumed slightly over 20 KWH in that time period. If you assume $0.10 per KWH, I've spent $2 in electricity in that time period; only a few percent of the money I've spent on filament. I'm operating on 120V service.

-Edited for clarity, and to add voltage.

4. XavierB

XavierB New Member

Hi Thanks Guies for the replies. It is definitely confirming what I had in mind but I had a doubt.